[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] Losing background on copying card

mmt@client1.dciem.dnd.ca (Martin Taylor) (12/06/88)

I have a stack with one major background and 2 minor ones, one of
which occurs on cards distributed through the stack, the other only
on cards at the end of the stack.  I have built this largely by copying
cards and amending the copy.  Now, I find that if I copy a card from the
major background, and paste the copy just before the final set, the
resulting card belongs to a background for which the pasted card is the
only representative.  The new background has all the properties of the
old, including name and script, but this does not help when I want to
show or hide buttons and fields for the major set of cards.  Is this
a known bug?  What kind of work-around is there?

Hypercard 1.2, Mac+ equivalent (512KE with Dove 548s 2-meg upgrade),
Moire and Vaccine the only Inits (a recent version of Moire).  The stack
has of the order of 70 cards of the major background and of the order of
10 of each of the minor backgrounds, and takes just under 400K compacted.

A colleague mentions having come across a problem of this kind in quite
a different environment -- Mac II with lots of memory -- and a different
stack.  He thought it had to do with pasting the card in an environment
of different backgrounds, but I don't beieve that, because most of this
problem stack has been built that way without trouble.
--
Martin Taylor (mmt@zorac.arpa ...!uunet!dciem!mmt) (416) 635-2048
If the universe transcends formal methods, it might be interesting.

jdevoto@well.UUCP (Jeanne DeVoto) (12/08/88)

In article <1255@client1.dciem.dnd.ca> mmt@zorac.dciem.dnd.ca (Martin Taylor) writes:

>I have a stack with one major background and 2 minor ones, one of
>which occurs on cards distributed through the stack, the other only
>on cards at the end of the stack.  I have built this largely by copying
>cards and amending the copy.  Now, I find that if I copy a card from the
>major background, and paste the copy just before the final set, the
>resulting card belongs to a background for which the pasted card is the
>only representative.  The new background has all the properties of the
>old, including name and script, but this does not help when I want to
>show or hide buttons and fields for the major set of cards.  Is this
>a known bug?  What kind of work-around is there?

The times when I've seen this problem (pasted card having a new background),
it's been due to a temporary alteration in a background object. One example:
suppose you have a background button that copies a card and pastes it some-
where else in the stack, and suppose this button has autoHilite turned on.
When you click on the button, its hilite property is true. This is A CHANGE
IN THE BACKGROUND as far as HyperCard is concerned, despite the fact that
the hiliting only lasts as long as you are clicking the button. If your
script copies the card while the button is hilited, then goes to paste in
the card, it's pasting in a card with a (slightly) different background, so
HyperCard assumes it should create a new background for the pasted card.

Hope this is helpful.....

jeanne a. e. devoto
jdevoto@well.UUCP