[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] Look out Hypercard, its Supercard!

dlw@hpsmtc1.HP.COM (David L. Williams) (12/06/88)

Interesting to find this out after Dan Allen's posting about no real new
features to Hypercard(God only knows when HC 2.0 will show).  It will be really
interesting to see if this comes to pass. How long would it take the 4 Apple
Hypercard programmers to add in support for multiple windows and the like?
Perhaps Apple should sub-contract out to Silicon Beach! ;)

From the December 5 88 Infoworld:

Apple Computer's Hypercard will no longer be the only player in its unique
product category when Silicon Beach Software announces in January a
Hypercard work-alike, Supercard.

The program offers several important functions not currently available in
Hypercard.  Among the key improvements are its support for color and use of
the full screen, sources said. The program will be available in the second
quarter of next year. No pricing was available.

With Supercard, users can import existing Hypercard stacks or create
standalone applications using Supercard's Hypertalk-compatible scripting
language, Supertalk, the sources said.  The program also supports multiple
resizable windows and has extensive drawing fucntions.

Silicon Beach officials declined to comment.

"A program that's like Hypercard but has a lot of the capabilities missing
in Hypercard would be a very viable product" said Ashok Jain, editor of
Macintosh Market Report, of Irvine, California.

Apple multimedia evangelist Jim Armstrong compared the introduction of
Hypercard-compatibles to Silicon Beach's successful introduction of
Superpaint at a time Apple was bundling MacPaint with every Macintosh.  He
added that Bill Atkinson's priority is to ensure Hypercard is optimized for
the entire Mac line, an element that might help distinguish it from
Hypercard workalikes.  Sources said at least tow other companies will
introduce Hypercard-like programs next year.

dan@Apple.COM (Dan Allen) (12/07/88)

I do not know anything more about Supercard or any other HyperCard
clone than what we have all read in the rumors of Info World and other
rags.

I DO know that before anyone should get too excited about clones they
should ask these questions:

	Will it run on a Mac Plus or SE with only 1 megabyte?
	Is it REALLY stack compatible?
	Is their HyperTalk really complete?  Or did they only implement
	  part of HyperTalk?  (I have my doubts in this area)

We welcome competition and wish them good luck.  One final note:
HyperCard 2.0 WILL have lots of great new features.  Lest I be
misunderstood, we are working on many great and new and revolutionary
things, that's why it is taking a bit of time.  Look forward to it in
the future, but in the meantime use and enjoy HC 1.2.2.

Dan Allen
HyperCard Team
Apple Computer

sbb@esquire.UUCP (Stephen B. Baumgarten) (12/08/88)

In article <16310014@hpsmtc1.HP.COM> dlw@hpsmtc1.HP.COM (David L. Williams) writes:
>Interesting to find this out after Dan Allen's posting about no real new
>features to Hypercard(God only knows when HC 2.0 will show).  It will be really
>interesting to see if this comes to pass. How long would it take the 4 Apple
>Hypercard programmers to add in support for multiple windows and the like?
>Perhaps Apple should sub-contract out to Silicon Beach! ;)

Perhaps they should.  Don't get me wrong, I think Hypercard is
terrific.  But does anyone else get the feeling that Hypercard will be
updated and improved on as "timely" a basis as all the other in-house
Apple applications were?

MacWrite, MacPaint, MacDraw, and MacTerminal were all fantastic when
they were first released, but then were frozen for almost three years,
as third-party applications far exceeded their limitations (although it
took a while to top MacDraw).  Finally, Apple gave MacWrite, MacPaint
and MacDraw to Claris and all three have been updated to one degree or
another; with the exception of MacWrite, all three have had extensive
functionality added.  Note also that the time required to perform this
updating was minimal, especially as compared to the years Apple had.

MacTerminal, on the other hand, which Apple kept in-house and
classified as "system-software", has been given a couple of cursory
updates (to fix bugs and incompatibilities, I believe, not to extend
functionality) and that was it.  It's still not substantially better
than it was four years ago, and there's been not a peep out of Apple
about an imminent new update.

Maybe Hypercard will be different, but aside from supporting a few more
commands and working with locked stacks, Hypercard is no different now
than it was the day it was released.  That's too bad, since it's such a
great program, and it has such potential.

But it's still breathtakingly slow, it still doesn't support true
hypertext in any real sense (i.e., links associated with text, rather
than card position), and of course no color or full-screen cards.  And,
unless you're using something like the third-party Reports!, you can
forget about printing altogether.

Again, I *do* think Hypercard is amazing just the way it is, but for
those of us who saw the pictures in MacWEEK of a prototype screen from
SuperCard, Hypercard's limitations become all too apparent, and we are
once again reminded of just how slowly development is proceeding within
Apple.

Comments anyone?

--
   Steve Baumgarten             | "New York... when civilization falls apart,
   Davis Polk & Wardwell        |  remember, we were way ahead of you."

Lou@cup.portal.com (William Joseph Marriott) (12/08/88)

Additional information on SuperCard, from MacWEEK 6 Dec 88:

Purported features:

- Color Support; Large Screen support
- Reads HyperCard XCMDs, XFCNs, converts HC stacks and scripts
- Enhanced Scripting capability
- Can create stand-alone applications
- Support for real Mac-type windows
- Wholly Customizeable Tools, Menu Bar
- Object oriented and bitmapped graphics, ala SuperPaint
    (including autotrace feauture)
- Any object, including graphics, may have a script

Windows apparently function as their own stack, with one "card" per
stack visible at any one time.

Silicon Beach did speak with MacWEEK. Said SuperCard apps would be 250K
and up in size, but would be stand-alone. Windows could be 34 feet by
34 feet in size (hmm... who markets a 40-foot monitor?). Said they
were not cloning HyperCard, but extending the standard.

Color: 8-Bit, 256 possible colors, color-cycling for animation effects.

Online SuperTalk reference within scripting mode

Price: less than $200 Availability: 2nd QTR 89

Who knows when this product will become available, or if it will catch on
like SuperPaint. But even SuperPaint let you save your files in MacPaint
and PICT format.

I think it's a wonderful challenge for Apple -- incidently, a related
article reported that Apple was not allowing the HyperCard development
team to see SuperCard prototypes. The article also mentioned a second
HyperCard clone, Plus, which cannot make stand-alone stacks.

An interesting note is that both developers would seem more likey to port
their products to MS-DOS machines than Apple would.

I still remember when MacPaint came out, and then SuperPaint and
FullPaint. I still loved the basic feel of MacPaint over every paint
program that was produced afterward, including MacPaint 2.0.

wb1j+@andrew.cmu.edu (William M. Bumgarner) (12/08/88)

Apple's policy on quite a few software products (MacDraw/Write/Paint) was
to release an application that set an example to be built upon.  By
keeping prices high, and releasing products that set a standard, but not
a maximum-functionality-limit, Apple seeds the market for third-party
developer's.  Remember the fanfare w/the introduction of FullPaint; not
very much of FullPaint was original-- it was simply an extension on MacPaint.

Apple may be taking a similar stance with Hypercard; release a product that
provides a base by which all other in that class are measured. BUT update
it slowly to encourage the third party developers.  I'm sure Apple could
have done a proper job with printing in one of the first set of updates...
but that would have destroyed the market for Reports and others.  Also,
the stacks released with Hypercard (Address, Notes, Clip Art, etc..) are
extremely limited.  By releasing limited stacks, it gives developer's
ideas to build on and _a_lot_ of room to go... look at Organizer+; it's
basic idea is found in the stacks that Apple released with Hypercard.
ClipArt+ is the same way; The Clip Art stack that was originally released
was a great idea that was horribly executed... ClipArt+ takes that idea
and executes it in such away that it is very usable. On top of that,
it also adds extra functionality.

b.bum
wb1j+@andrew.cmu.edu

Lou@cup.portal.com (William Joseph Marriott) (12/09/88)

What's in it (HyperCard) for Apple?

I admire Silicon Beach for their decision to compete with HyperCard.
How would you like to be the one to propose competing with a virtually
free product? A virtually free product from a company with an
imaginative legal department? A virtually free product with a zealous
cult following?

I can remember what it was like working with the old Macs and the
software of the time. Remember the care-free days of three data
formats (MacWrite, MacPaint, PICT)? Programs that were less than 150K?
You certainly knew what to buy when you walked into a computer store.
Today, of course, we have a proliferation of different graphics, text,
sound, and even font formats (quick, what popular DTP programs will be
confused by NFNTs?) With that has come more power and flexibility, but
putting together software packages that cooperate has become as big a
hassle as configuring an MS-DOS machine.

Part of the reason that the old standards fell away was that the
defenders of the standard -- MacPaint, MacDraw, MacWrite -- retired
from the battle. Not just the applications, either. System software
components haven't kept up with the times. It's a crime that QuickDraw
is basically unchanged from what ran on the first Macs.

Boot a typical Macintosh and you'll see a testament to the (lack of)
real developments in Macintosh system software popping up in a row
across the bottom of the screen: Suitcase, QuicKeys, Laser"Quotes",
SuperLaserSpool, Tops... all are third-party hacks at system software
that SHOULD have grown up to handle fonts better, DAs better, keyboard
control better, print spooling better, and transparent file sharing.
You might be able to put a SuperDrive in your Mac SE one day, but
you'll have to buy a DaynaFile to get the Finder to support foreign
volumes.

If Apple had taken a meaningful leadership role by implementing a
formatted text standard (you still can't cut and paste text with
formatting between applications), improved QuickDraw so applications
would not have to hack at printer drivers for decent output, etc.,
life as a Macintosh owner would be much more carefree.

So what is in it (HyperCard) for Apple? I think Apple views its
software as more of a marketing tool for hardware than an end to
itself. Apple, for instance, can say "We have WYSIWIG display, we have
multi-tasking, we can read non-Mac disks, we have this exciting new
development/information platform etc." without having to be truly
pioneering or putting the effort into enhancing these features.

HyperCard _is_ a truly pioneering product that is changing people's
lives... the same issue of MacWEEK that reported SuperCard also has a
story about HyperCard being used in museums. But will Apple want to
take HyperCard much farther? If third-parties are willing to bear the
expense of enhancing HyperCard, why bother?

Consumers always like to have choices, and the existance of
HyperCard-compatible options makes the Macintosh a more attractive
purchase. Why would Apple want to get into a battle with Silicon
Beach? I think they'll _help_ them by maintaining HyperCard as an
"entry-level" product and leave the rest of the market open for other
developers. They'll maintain it JUST as they did MacWrite and
MacPaint, tweaks here and there so it runs with future system
software, but letting Microsoft worry about true advances in
functionality.

The people who are really _need_ to come out with whiz-bang
knock-you-flat programs are the folks at Silicon Beach, because they
have to compete with Apple's own product, and any other comers.

I imagine the day is not far away when we will have several
"stack-card-hypertext" products out, a zillion different formats for
each, and we will still be posting here about HyperCard STILL not
supporting color or large-screen monitors.

_                      Portal: william_joseph_marriott@cup.portal.com
_  Bill Marriott       Northwestern University:    innen@nuacc.bitnet
_                      GEnie: W.MARRIOTT              CI$: 72047,2770

chuq%plaid@Sun.COM (Chuq Von Rospach) (12/10/88)

>I admire Silicon Beach for their decision to compete with HyperCard.
>How would you like to be the one to propose competing with a virtually
>free product? A virtually free product from a company with an
>imaginative legal department? A virtually free product with a zealous
>cult following?

An insane gesture, to be sure. Just about as insane as shipping SuperPaint
against MacPaint. We all know what a failure THAT was....

>System software
>components haven't kept up with the times. It's a crime that QuickDraw
>is basically unchanged from what ran on the first Macs.

Huh? When the 128K ROM came out, QuickDraw was speeded up significantly.

And that statement completely ignores, for example, color on the Mac2.

>Boot a typical Macintosh and you'll see a testament to the (lack of)
>real developments in Macintosh system software popping up in a row
>across the bottom of the screen: Suitcase, QuicKeys, Laser"Quotes",
>SuperLaserSpool, Tops... all are third-party hacks at system software
>that SHOULD have grown up to handle fonts better, DAs better, keyboard
>control better, print spooling better, and transparent file sharing.

I disagree strongly with this. A couple of reasons why it's dead wrong.

1) Apple doesn't have a monopoly on programming talent. Other folks get
   great ideas, too.

   This doesn't mean Apple shouldn't buy really good third party stuff
   and integrate it in. Quickeys is arguably lightyears ahead of Macromaker.
   At the same time, though, QK takes a lot more memory, would cost Apple
   more (royalties, documentation costs, etc, etc) and add to the cost
   of the Macintosh you buy.

2) which leads to my next point. Not everyone needs this stuff. Yes, I'd
   like Tops. Not enough to pay for it. Not enough, frankly, to have it
   suck up more of my memory for it to be there when I want it. I don't
   want it often enough. Quickeys, on the other hand, I can't live without.

Apple loses on both sides of the argument here, which isn't fair. If they
*do* go ahead and put in all these neat toys you want, they get yelled at
for stomping all over the third-party market (remember the screams in the
Good Old Days about MacWrite and MacPaint?). If they purchase a given third
party product, all the other ones will scream and yell in outrage --
besides, do you want them to decide which one is better for you? If they
chose Tempo over Quickeys, and by bundling it caused QK to go off the
market, I'd be pissed. And if they chose QK instead of Tempo, the Tempo
folks would feel the same way. Finally, if they don't do anything, they get
yelled at for not doing anything. That's not fair to Apple. (Besides,
MacroMaker is definitely not nothing. It's not QuicKeys to be sure. But it's
a reaction that macro facilities are *good* -- and if MM isn't powerful
enough, you ought to be willing to shell out for QK or Tempo).

Look at the bottom line on a sample product. Apple decides to buy the rights
to QuicKeys from CE software. QK sells list for about $100. CE makes a
royalty deal with Apple at, say $10/Mac. Apple gets the rights to ship it
with every mac sold. No big deal.

Except that QK comes with a manual as thick as the rest of the Mac manuals
shipped with the system. That's an expense. And Apple can't sell it without
it's own markup. Say we're at $25 now. It goes in the box, to the
distributor and the retailer. Each has a markup. So that $10 royalty ends up
adding $50-$60 to the cost of each and every macintosh, whether the person
wants (or needs) it or not.

That's why third party products exist -- to supply useful, but not essential
products. QK and Suitcase and Tops and spoolers and stuff are really neat,
useful tools -- to the people who need them. But that need isn't *close* to
universal, and if Apple DID start a policy of adopting and bundling these
products, people would start screaming at it for stifling innovation.
Remember the howls from Owl when Hypercard shipped?

>So what is in it (HyperCard) for Apple? I think Apple views its
>software as more of a marketing tool for hardware than an end to
>itself.

Speaking from my experience working for varied computer manufacturers,
software is rarely overly profitable. It sells iron. Good software sells
lots of iron (as in Mac's and Sun's). Bad software sells very little iron
(as in a previous employer I won't embarrass). So this view is probably
pretty true -- but also not unusual in the computer industry.

>HyperCard _is_ a truly pioneering product that is changing people's
>lives... the same issue of MacWEEK that reported SuperCard also has a
>story about HyperCard being used in museums. But will Apple want to
>take HyperCard much farther? If third-parties are willing to bear the
>expense of enhancing HyperCard, why bother?

Why bother, indeed? To keep Bill Atkinson and Dan happy, which are
definitely not reasons to be laughed at. And to make sure the market
they're fostering grows to self-sufficiency. Dropping it too early may
kill it. And there's little danger in taking it too far -- It'll
spur development further and faster.

Remember macpaint -- and superpaint, and fullpaint, and Adobe Illustrator
and Freehand and Pixel Paint.

>Why would Apple want to get into a battle with Silicon
>Beach? I think they'll _help_ them by maintaining HyperCard as an
>"entry-level" product and leave the rest of the market open for other
>developers.

The big difference here is Bill Atkinson. He's got more control of Hypercard
and he's not going to let it sit until he's done with it what he wants.
Hypercard 2.0 sounds fascinating. I expect Hypercard to continue to get
better as long as Atkinson wants it to -- and with any luck, the rest of the
market will try to keep up. Which menas we, the user, will win big.

Chuq Von Rospach	Editor/Publisher, OtherRealms		chuq@sun.COM

When you're up to your *ss in alligators, it's hard to remember your initial
objective was to drain the swamp.

englandr@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Scott Englander) (12/10/88)

I'm not terribly optimistic; I've been waiting about 3 years for an
upgrade to SuperPaint.  It was supposed to be here this summer.
--

                                               - Scott

dan@Apple.COM (Dan Allen) (12/11/88)

In article <12351@cup.portal.com> Lou@cup.portal.com (William Joseph Marriott) writes:
>I can remember what it was like working with the old Macs and the
>software of the time. Remember the care-free days of three data
>formats (MacWrite, MacPaint, PICT)? Programs that were less than 150K?
Yes, those were great days.  I would like programs to be smaller.  But
would you be willing to not have a HyperCard, not have Excel?  not have
Word 4.0?

>Boot a typical Macintosh and you'll see a testament to the (lack of)
>real developments in Macintosh system software popping up in a row
>across the bottom of the screen: Suitcase, QuicKeys, Laser"Quotes",
>SuperLaserSpool, Tops... all are third-party hacks at system software

Agreed.  Apple really should fix more of these problems, because many of
these components and INITs are constantly breaking with different system
software revs...

>HyperCard _is_ a truly pioneering product that is changing people's
>lives... the same issue of MacWEEK that reported SuperCard also has a
>story about HyperCard being used in museums. But will Apple want to
>take HyperCard much farther? If third-parties are willing to bear the
>expense of enhancing HyperCard, why bother?

This is an interesting point.  Apple wants to sell computers, and Apple
wants to see interesting software around that will help sell the
computers.  Officially Apple likes to think it is a hardware company,
not a software company.

However, I work in software at Apple where there are hundreds of people
developing software to help sell our machines.  Don't let anybody kid
you:  Apple is a software company as well, regardless of what Apple
says.

Now Apple also wants to keep third parties happy.  That's why they
unbundled MacWrite and MacPaint.  There is a group of us at Apple (known
as the HyperCard engineers) that agree with your critique of Apple
creating standards for passing formatting information around.  We like
to think that HyperCard stacks are a great format that ALL Mac owners
have and can use.  We hope that HyperCard will NEVER BE UNBUNDLED,
because then the standard will go away, and you will have lots of
different formats around...

And HyperCard's already rich environment (text, sound, and bitmapped
graphics) will be improved over time.  The obvious improvements and
things wanted by many of the readers of this net are: object graphics,
large card support, color, styled text, etc.  Now just so everyone will
hear my manifesto once more...

WE WANT TO MAKE HYPERCARD GREAT.  We want it to be robust and bug free.
We want all of these great features just like everybody else.  And WE
ARE WORKING ON MANY GREAT NEW FEATURES.  Unfortunately, we are not
allowed to comment on the exact nature of these new features, but we are
doing mainline feature enhacements that are what many many people have
asked for.  We are very confident that everyone will be very pleased
with these new features.  We have a list over 70 pages long of features
people want.  We will do those that we can and release a new version.
We'll then do more and release yet another version.  (We figure you do
not want to wait years for just one new version...)

We welcome competition but we are going to continue to improve HyperCard
dramatically and in new ways.  Most people on the net think we can just
add color and then everything works great.  But they fail to think of
the implications: what if I create a color stack and then pass it to a
friend?  Many colors would end up being black or white, with dramatic
problems with visual interpretation.  Or what if cards could be big?
How would the majority with small screens work with a small card?  There
are solutions to these problems, but the features that people ask for
have many ramifications that are not usually entertained.  Remember, 95%
of the HyperCard users of the world have a 1 MB machine, (Mac Plus or
Mac SE) with a 20 MB hard disk.  No color.  No big screens.  No 68020.
No extra RAM.  No nothing.  HyperCard still has to work for them,
because they are The Rest of Us.

Dan Allen
Apple Computer
End of Soapbox

clive@drutx.ATT.COM (Clive Steward) (12/13/88)

Very good answer, Dan, and fair minded too.  Best thing you've said
yet.

There's surely ample room for creativity from everyone.  And evidence
that the company of other thinkers is pretty effective, if for no
other reason that then the company bean counters see why they should
provide funds, even after a cash cow has been birthed.

Best fortune to you, Dan.

Clive Steward