[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] Export files

lf01+@andrew.cmu.edu (Liz Fox) (12/13/88)

This may be a trivial question, but I need the answer fast!  I want to
create an export program to link a hypercard stack with a word document
(basically a form letter - merge) but when I'm writing the program, I
am not sure how to indicate the data.

any help would be appreciated

Liz Fox

englandr@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Scott Englander) (12/14/88)

In article <sXdHLEy00Xc=I0rVYY@andrew.cmu.edu> lf01+@andrew.cmu.edu (Liz Fox) writes:
>This may be a trivial question, but I need the answer fast!  I want to
>create an export program to link a hypercard stack with a word document
>(basically a form letter - merge) but when I'm writing the program, I
>am not sure how to indicate the data.

This is simple: just look at pages 65-79 of the Word manual (form
letters).  All you need to do with HC is create a file that looks
something like
name,address,city,state,zip (& return)
Joe's,29 W. Union St.,Stockton,NJ,08555 (& return)
.
.
.

and call the file "addresses" or something.  Then in your primary file,
put
<<DATA addresses>>
<<name>>
<<address>>
<<city>>,<<state>> <<zip>>

Remember to enclose fields that have commas, etc. with double quotes.
--

                                               - Scott

lf01+@andrew.cmu.edu (Liz Fox) (12/16/88)

I have a problem with the format of the
stack.  The addresses were put in a stack with fields looking like this:

John Doe
1234 Main Street
Pittsburgh, PA  15213

without commas, etc.  how do I transport the cards in the stack to the
Hypercard program to the word document?  Do I have to list all the addresses
in the HC program?  Or do I list the card number (or identifyer)?

I have done the Word part..with Microsoft File and it was easy...or is
there a way of exporting it to file and then to word?

Liz