[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] Running HyperCard from a unix file server

sirkm@ssyx.ucsc.edu (Greg Anderson) (01/05/89)

I have been unable to get HyperCard to work properly from a unix-based file
server.  Launching HyperCard from an AUFS volume results in the message
"Can't find home stack"--even though "home" is in the same folder that
HyperCard is.  Launching HyperCard from a floppy or hard drive and then
attempting to load a stack from an AUFS volume results in a cryptic
"error -37" message, which apparently means that the filename/file path is
bad.  The name of the volume I'm using is "Sirkm's Mac Files", and other
applications seem to work fine.

	Greg Anderson
	Social Sciences Computing
	University of California, Santa Cruz
	email:   sirkm@ssyx.ucsc.edu
	BBS:     (408) 462-3832        2400/1200/300 baud

verber@cheops.cis.ohio-state.edu (Mark A. Verber) (01/05/89)

You have run into a common problem.  The Mac and AppleShare don't
distinguish between upper and lowercase letter.  Aufs is using the
Unix file system (which does distinguish between the cases).
HyperCard sometimes does weird things with name of a file (i.e. a file
called Dinosaur might be requested as DiNoSaur).  Two solutions are
add case mapping to Aufs or name Hypecard stacks something like
F-U-N or F.U.N.

Sigh,
Mark A. Verber
Ohio State Univ.

dan@Apple.COM (Dan Allen) (01/06/89)

In article <5912@saturn.ucsc.edu> sirkm@ssyx.ucsc.edu (Greg Anderson) writes:
>I have been unable to get HyperCard to work properly from a unix-based file
>server.  Launching HyperCard from an AUFS volume results in the message

Versions of HyperCard previous to 1.2.2 had problems with case-sensitive
servers.  HyperCard also always looks in the System Folder first for a
home stack, EVEN IF A HOME STACK IS RIGHT NEXT TO IT.  If no home stack
is in the system folder, then it should find a home stack located right
next to it.  In any case, get HC 1.2.2.

Dan Allen
HyperCard Team
Apple Computer

edmoy@violet.berkeley.edu (01/06/89)

In article <23389@apple.Apple.COM> dan@Apple.COM (Dan Allen) writes:
>In article <5912@saturn.ucsc.edu> sirkm@ssyx.ucsc.edu (Greg Anderson) writes:
>>I have been unable to get HyperCard to work properly from a unix-based file
>>server.  Launching HyperCard from an AUFS volume results in the message
>
>Versions of HyperCard previous to 1.2.2 had problems with case-sensitive
>servers.  HyperCard also always looks in the System Folder first for a
>home stack, EVEN IF A HOME STACK IS RIGHT NEXT TO IT.  If no home stack
>is in the system folder, then it should find a home stack located right
>next to it.  In any case, get HC 1.2.2.

Though HC 1.2.2 may fix the problem in HyperCard's case, there is still the
more general problem of case-sensitivity that can cause problems.  If you
have a file named "Test" and then create a new file and use the standard
file dialog to save it as "test", a case-insensitive file system will warn
you before over-writing "Test" (it is strange that on the Mac, the name
remains "Test", and not "test").

Under AUFS, there would be no warning and you'd end up with two separate
files.  While this is non-destructive (although, you can have problems
copying to a case-insensitive volume), it isn't the same.

I've been working on a set of patches to fix the case-sensitive problem,
so even HyperCard less than 1.2.2 will work.  I'll talk to Charlie Kim
at Columbia and he says to post them when I'm ready.  I have a few things
to clear off my desk first, but I'll get to it in the next few weeks.

Edward Moy				Principal Programmer - Macintosh & Unix
Workstation Support Services		Workstation Software Support Group
University of California
Berkeley, CA  94720

edmoy@violet.Berkeley.EDU
ucbvax!violet!edmoy

In article <18757@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> edmoy@violet.berkeley.edu writes:
>Though HC 1.2.2 may fix the problem in HyperCard's case, there is still the
>more general problem of case-sensitivity that can cause problems.  If you

People tend to forget one thing, regardless whether or not case
sensitivity is good or bad: HyperCard is designed--like almost all
Macintosh applications--to work with the Macintosh File System (MFS) and
its superset, the Hierarchical File System (HFS), both of which are case
insensitive.

ANYBODY THAT WANTS TO USE PROGRAMS LIKE HYPERCARD SHOULD HAVE A TRULY
MAC-COMPATIBLE FILE SYSTEM.  If people are using Unix-based file servers
with HyperCard and there are case-sensitivity problems, then that means
that whoever wrote the device drivers or protocal converters that
mediates between HFS and Unix simply DIDN'T DO THEIR JOB RIGHT.  The
Unix file server should AUTOMATICALLY handle case sensitivity problems
if HyperCard stacks are going to be used from it.  It is a system
software problem.

Dan Allen
Apple Computer

chris@cayman.COM (Chris North, Tech Support) (01/06/89)

In article <30567@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu>, verber@cheops.cis.ohio-state.edu (Mark A. Verber) writes:

> You have run into a common problem.  The Mac and AppleShare don't
> distinguish between upper and lowercase letter.  Aufs is using the
> Unix file system (which does distinguish between the cases).
> HyperCard sometimes does weird things with name of a file (i.e. a file
> called Dinosaur might be requested as DiNoSaur).  Two solutions are
> add case mapping to Aufs or name Hypecard stacks something like
> F-U-N or F.U.N.

Does Hypercard 1.2.2 fix this?

--
Chris North                                chris@cayman.COM