[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] Hypercard MS-DOS clones

rburns%master@Sun.COM (Randy Burns) (01/24/89)

What have folks heard about hypercard clones running under MS-DOS(or
OS/2)?

I've heard several rumors:
 1) That Microsoft was planning to market a compatible product, but was
    stopped by the infamous lawsuit from going through with their plans.
 2) That several other MS-DOS pompatible cle clones are in the works and
    will be on the market soon (I guess the strategy is to overwhelm
    Apple's attorney's by sheer force of numbers.

In the Atkinson interview in Goodman's book, I seem to remember reading
that the Hypercard file formats were going to be made public-even if this
encouraged clones.  Has this ever been done?  What portions of Hypercard
does Apple regard as particularly proprietary?

I would be very interested in anything anyone knows about this.

Note: The above opinions are mine alone and not those of my
consulting client, Sun Microsystems.

dan@Apple.COM (Dan Allen) (01/25/89)

In article <86599@sun.uucp> rburns%master@Sun.COM (Randy Burns) writes:
>What have folks heard about hypercard clones running under MS-DOS(or
>OS/2)?
>
>In the Atkinson interview in Goodman's book, I seem to remember reading
>that the Hypercard file formats were going to be made public-even if this
>encouraged clones.  Has this ever been done?  What portions of Hypercard
>does Apple regard as particularly proprietary?

The first question is certainly the easier one to answer: there are
several MS-DOS and Macintosh clones of HyperCard under construction.
The Silicon Beach program called "SuperCard" for the Macintosh is
probably the one that will make it to market first.  I will reserve
judgment on these products as I have not seen them.

The second question can only be definitively answered by Apple's legal
department.  We (the engineers) would like to release more information
about the HyperCard file format and the like, but marketing and legal
are not too excited about such things.  Several people and companies
have already reverse engineered the format to a large degree, for what
that's worth.

I guess the main areas of HyperCard that Bill and Apple are particularly
proud of (read: want to keep secret) are the fast find and graphics
compression algorithms.  Apple legal would probably also like to see
HyperTalk as proprietary, but I do not think that languages can be kept
proprietary.  HyperTalk is to Apple as Postscript is to Adobe: a
competitive advantage whose ideas can be copied, but a particular
expression of an idea is protected by copyright law.  Any one with
detailed questions should talk to Apple's very busy law department.

I PERSONALLY (NOT APPLE) think that we should publish the sources to
HyperCard, as they would be instructive, like Knuth's typesetting books.
Unfortunately, as long as HyperCard remains an Apple competitive
advantage, such information will remain highly secret.  Too bad...

Dan Allen
HyperCard Team
Apple Computer