[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] Hypercard Error 777

vmrad@deneb.ucdavis.edu (0048;0000004328;500;737;56;) (01/25/89)

I am receiving an Error Alert from Hypercard during compacting of
a stack.  The Alert says Error 777, Sorry.  The stack seems to work
correctly and is compacted after the Alert is retired.  I cannot find
an Error 777 anywhere.  Can someone enlighten me as to what is going on?

Thanks,

Scot.Kamins@f555.n125.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Scot Kamins) (01/26/89)

Error 777 means that there's something internally inconsistent with HyperCard. Do you have the latest version of HyperCard (1.2.2)? 777 errors have been commom with older versions, but have tapered off of late...

--
Scot Kamins - via FidoNet node 1:125/406
    UUCP: ...!sun!hoptoad!fidogate!555!Scot.Kamins

dan@Apple.COM (Dan Allen) (01/28/89)

In article <3538@ucdavis.ucdavis.edu> vmrad@deneb.ucdavis.edu (Bernard Littau) writes:
>I am receiving an Error Alert from Hypercard during compacting of
>a stack.  The Alert says Error 777, Sorry.  The stack seems to work
>correctly and is compacted after the Alert is retired.  I cannot find
>an Error 777 anywhere.  Can someone enlighten me as to what is going on?

Error 777 is an internal debug number that indicates the some of
HyperCard's internal objects are open during idle, which should never be
the case.  In other words, you have some situation on your machine which
should never be arrived at, or in other words, there's a bug.

Which version of HyperCard are you using?  How big is the stack? How
many cards, backgrounds, fields?  Can you compact the stack, quit
HyperCard, re-enter HyperCard, compact the stack again, and repeatably
still see this error?

Dan Allen
Apple Computer