[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] Are hidden cards possible?

swenson@aulait.Stanford.EDU (Norman Swenson) (01/28/89)

Is it possible to hide cards in a stack, so that the stack developer
can access them (for copying, etc.) but not the user?

Thanks

Norm
swenson@isl.stanford.edu

dan@Apple.COM (Dan Allen) (01/30/89)

In article <6@aulait.stanford.edu> swenson@isl.Stanford.EDU (Norman Swenson) writes:
>Is it possible to hide cards in a stack, so that the stack developer
>can access them (for copying, etc.) but not the user?

There is no straight forward way to hide an entire card.  In the most
recent versions of HyperCard one can hide a card or background's picture
by saying in HyperTalk:

	show card picture

This just hides the bit-image specific to the card (or bg) but still
allows fields and buttons to be seen.  Card buttons and fields can also
(separately) be hidden in like manner.

Dan Allen                **    dan@apple.COM (Unix mail)
Software Explorer        **    ALLEN.DAN (AppleLink)
HyperCard Team           **    20525 Mariani Ave. MS 22AE
Apple Computer           **    Cupertino, CA 95014
** Sam:    "You know what they say, 'You can kill more   **
**          flys with honey than with vinegar.'"         **
** Woody:  "I don't mean to butt in, but you can kill    **
**          the most with dead squirrels."               **

jtw@wuee1.wustl.edu (Trent Wohlschlaeger) (01/31/89)

In article <6@aulait.stanford.edu> swenson@isl.Stanford.EDU (Norman Swenson) writes:
>Is it possible to hide cards in a stack, so that the stack developer
>can access them (for copying, etc.) but not the user?

One of the ways I use for doing this is to make my 'hidden' cards with a
different background, and then make the scripts for my -> and <- buttons

on mouseUp
   go to next (prev) gard of this background
end mouseUp

This also works well for stacks that have no hidden information but
multiple backgrounds that get shuffled together because of sorting by
a (non-unique) field (of different backgrounds).

The price you pay for this is a (usually) unnoticable increase in the
delay between cards.

You can also trap the menu calls for moving between cards and/or check
the user level to selectively allow viewing, but this exercise is left
to the student.

The bottom line, though, is that if you can see it, a determined user can
find it.

Now my addition to the wish list:
  would it be possible to add a qualifier such as
     sort by field foo _of this background_
  or
     find 'bar' in field foo _of this background_
???

I understand the need to convert the field name into a number for speed's
sake, but can the same not be done with the background?

Thanks,

Trent

tim@hoptoad.uucp (Tim Maroney) (01/31/89)

writes:
>Is it possible to hide cards in a stack, so that the stack developer
>can access them (for copying, etc.) but not the user?

Sure.  On the message you get when the card is gone to, just go to
another card.  There are, of course, complications with next, previous,
etc., but they are surmountable.
--
Tim Maroney, Consultant, Eclectic Software, sun!hoptoad!tim
"Religion flourishes in greater purity without than with the aid