[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] HyperCard NEVER PLANNED TO BE IN ROM

dan@Apple.COM (Dan Allen) (02/08/89)

In article <1053@wasatch.UUCP> t-jacobs@wasatch.UUCP (Tony Jacobs) writes:
>Now, if Apple will just leap frog SuperCard with version 2.0 (perhaps by
>building it into the operating system or into the Roms or some such wild thing)
>we'll be getting into some real serious objective programming!

I have heard people talk about putting HyperCard in ROM.  Everyone talks
about such a thing, but as a member of the HyperCard team, I would like
to lay this rumor to rest.

THERE HAS NEVER EVER BEEN ANY PLANS AT APPLE-OFFICIAL OR UNOFFICIAL-TO
PUT HYPERCARD IN ROM.

Not to say that I wouldn't like it there, because it would be fast and
all that, but as an application I think there is very little possibility
that future Mac Pluses are ever going to have it in ROM.  There is a ton
of system code that has priority for the comparitively few bytes of ROM
space available.

Some of the code found in HyperCard may someday make it into ROM to be
used by lots of people.  Candidates have been the bitmap compression
code, a dramatically changed HyperTalk language (current HyperTalk is
inseparably wed to HyperCard), and HyperCard's object manager.  Been
even these pieces of code are still a LONG way from being in ROM.

Don't be discouraged: there are a lot of other great and interesting
object-oriented projects going on inside of Apple.  However, we are not
allowed to discussed unannounced products...

Dan Allen                **    dan@apple.COM (Unix mail)
Software Explorer        **    ALLEN.DAN (AppleLink)
HyperCard Team           **    20525 Mariani Ave. MS 22AE
Apple Computer           **    Cupertino, CA 95014
** Sam:    "You know what they say, 'You can catch more  **
**          flys with honey than with vinegar.'"         **
** Woody:  "I don't mean to butt in, but you can catch   **
**          the most with dead squirrels."               **