[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] Timers and editing

tron@wpi.wpi.edu (Richard G Brewer) (02/06/89)

One addition I would like to see in HyperCard is the disabling of timers when
a tool is selected. In writing an automated stack for an on campus computer
show (MegaFest), I found it to be an incredible pain to have to name every
card with a timer that contolled the switching between cards, and then having
to remeber the name of the card and type "edit script of card NAMEOFCARD" each
time it needed a revision. Please Apple, fix this.

Also - I thought that the folks at Apple might like to see our "Interactive
introduction to the Macintosh" Stack that we wrote for the show... Who do I
send it to??

		rbrewer@wpi.bitnet
		tron@wpi.wpi.edu

stadler@apple.com (Andy Stadler) (02/08/89)

In article <611@wpi.WPI.EDU> tron@wpi.wpi.edu (Richard G Brewer) writes:

> One addition I would like to see in HyperCard is the disabling of timers
> when a tool is selected.

I'm not quite sure which timers you are referring to....  Can you post a
little more info please?

--Andy             stadler@apple.com

tron@wpi.wpi.edu (Richard G Brewer) (02/09/89)

In article <587@internal.Apple.COM> stadler@apple.com (Andy Stadler) writes:
>In article <611@wpi.WPI.EDU> tron@wpi.wpi.edu (Richard G Brewer) writes:
>
>> One addition I would like to see in HyperCard is the disabling of timers
>> when a tool is selected.
>
>I'm not quite sure which timers you are referring to....  Can you post a
>little more info please?
>
>--Andy             stadler@apple.com

Here's the sample script:

--------

On MouseUp
	.
	.
	.
	wait for 10 seconds
	visual effect dissolve
	go to next card
End MouseUp

--------

It would be nice if when one selects a tool from the tools palette, card
scripts would become inactive, as this would avoid many a hastle when creating
and editing an automated HyperCard presentation.

As it is now, I have to enter a unique name for each card, and remember/write
down it's name and where it appears in the stack, then type "edit script of
card CARDMNAME" from the command box whenever a change needs to be done...

-Rick

+----------------------------+--------------------+--------------------+
| Richard G. Brewer (TRON)   | Power through	  | rbrewer@wpi.bitnet |
| WPI Box 149		     | better design      |   tron@wpi.wpi.edu |
| 100 Institute Rd.	     | and engineering.   +--------------------+
| Worcester, Ma  01609-2280  +--------------------+ President: 	       |
| (508) 792-3231	     |   VaNDaL's SaCk    | The Apple Guild    |
+----------------------------+--------------------+--------------------+
|                    . . . E N D  O F  L I N E . . . 		       |

stadler@Apple.COM (Andy Stadler) (02/09/89)

In article <693@wpi.WPI.EDU> tron@wpi.wpi.edu (Richard G Brewer) writes:
>In article <587@internal.Apple.COM> stadler@apple.com (Andy Stadler) writes:
>
>On MouseUp
>	.
>	.
>	.
>	wait for 10 seconds
>	visual effect dissolve
>	go to next card
>End MouseUp
>
>--------
>
>It would be nice if when one selects a tool from the tools palette, card
>scripts would become inactive, as this would avoid many a hastle when creating
>and editing an automated HyperCard presentation.
>
>As it is now, I have to enter a unique name for each card, and remember/write
>down it's name and where it appears in the stack, then type "edit script of
>card CARDMNAME" from the command box whenever a change needs to be done...

Well, when you select a tool from the tools palette, the scripts DO become
inactive!  Actually, the rule is this:

  Messages are only generated when the browse tool is selected (cursor =
  hand w/finger).  The scripts are there, of course, but when any other
  tool (button, field, or any paint tool) is selected, no messages will
  be transmitted.

So, I'm still not clear about your problem...  Sorry!

--Andy         stadler@apple.com