[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] no visual effects?

jth90342@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (02/19/89)

I recently got HyperCard vers. 1.2.1 that is running on my color 4M Mac IIx
under multifinder.  I noticed, however, that none of the visual effects - zoom,
checkerboard, fade, etc. work.  Is it something wrong with my version, an
incompatability with the IIx, or is it something I have set incorrectly?

     Jeff Huber     jth90342@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu

jth90342@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (02/19/89)

Nevermind...  I did some more playing with it and found that the visual
effects work fine when you're in two color mode as opposed to 256 colors.

Jeff Huber

kim@ucschu.UCSC.EDU.ucsc.edu (New User Name) (02/20/89)

In article <226300002@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu> jth90342@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

>I recently got HyperCard vers. 1.2.1 that is running on my color 4M Mac IIx
>under multifinder.  I noticed, however, that none of the visual effects - zoom,
>checkerboard, fade, etc. work.  Is it something wrong with my version, an
>incompatability with the IIx, or is it something I have set incorrectly?
>

>     Jeff Huber     jth90342@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu

   When Hypercard is running with a bit depth of greater than 2, then no visual
effects work....I've written an XCMD that will determine the bit depth and
return a true of false depending on whether or not visual effects will work.
If you would like a copy....drop me some mail.

Kim
acct:  kim@ucschu.UCSC.EDU

carterbk@apple.com (Bryan 'STAKMan' Carter) (02/21/89)

In article <6422@saturn.ucsc.edu> kim@ucschu.UCSC.EDU.ucsc.edu (New User
Name) writes:
>    When Hypercard is running with a bit depth of greater than 2, then no
visual
> effects work....I've written an XCMD that will determine the bit depth
and
> return a true of false depending on whether or not visual effects will
work.
> If you would like a copy....drop me some mail.
>
> Kim
> acct:  kim@ucschu.UCSC.EDU

I thought I would add to the answer:

If you are (one of the fortunate few who are) running with two or more
monitors on one CPU, HyperCard's visual effects only work on the 'mother'
monitor.  The 'mother' monitor is the one with the menuBar.

Here is a tip hot off the presses.  Three of us here at Apple just found a
quirk last Friday (February 17).

If you call answer or ask as shown below, your system WILL hang.  This is
not a HyperCard bug, as this same occurance can happen with ANY dialog box:

answer|ask "^0"

iIf the carot, ^, AND the number 0 [zero] are together ANYWHERE within the
ask|answer string, the system will hang.

If you have used ResEdit, you may have noticed that in many a dialog box,
where the text is supposed to go resides '^0'.  This is the string
container the System uses.  If the system sees ^0, then it tries to
repeatedly call the 'same' text, thus hanging and eventually crashing.

For those of you who utilize the Kanji System and HyperCard versions, this
is something to watch out for very much.  I believe this is where it was
originally discovered.  Something to do with the way Kanji uses ASCii
characters and all.

If I find out anything else, I'll let you know.

The above was uncovered on my own time and I am reporting on my own time,thus eliminating Apple from said picture.  (I am gonna let them know about it, though.)

'STAKMan'aging,
Bryan K. 'STAKMan' Carter
President, Apple HyperCard User Group
All opinions/views/comments are mine!
<<<There are two of every kind of snow flake in the world, it just depends
upon who's second grade class your in.>>>

TechServices@cup.portal.com (Angelo C Micheletti) (02/21/89)

I recently got HyperCard vers. 1.2.1 that is running on my color 4M Mac IIx
under multifinder.  I noticed, however, that none of the visual effects -
zoom,
checkerboard, fade, etc. work.  Is it something wrong with my version, an
incompatability with the IIx, or is it something I have set incorrectly?
<Visual effects under HyperCard only work on Mac II's when its set for
black and white, 2 colors in the Monitor CDEV.