[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] Unexpected Error 777!

henry@chinet.chi.il.us (Henry C. Schmitt) (02/27/89)

I've just started building a brand new stack, and the first time
I compacted it I got "Unexpected error 777 - Sorry" and Hypercard
quit.  Opening that stack again everythings seems OK but then I
notice some of the 160+ background fields (on one background) are
missing some data.

Have I run over a limit somewhere?  Do I have too many fields?
What's going on?  How can I save my stack??  And what about
Naomi :-> ??

Thanx for any help!
--
  H3nry C. Schmitt     | CompuServe: 72275,1456  (Rarely)
 Royal Inn of Yoruba   | UUCP: Henry@chinet.uucp  (Best Bet)

dan@Apple.COM (Dan Allen) (02/28/89)

In article <7828@chinet.chi.il.us> henry@chinet.chi.il.us (Henry C. Schmitt) writes:
>I've just started building a brand new stack, and the first time
>I compacted it I got "Unexpected error 777 - Sorry" and Hypercard
>quit.  Opening that stack again everythings seems OK but then I
>notice some of the 160+ background fields (on one background) are
>missing some data.
>
>Have I run over a limit somewhere?  Do I have too many fields?
>What's going on?  How can I save my stack??  And what about
>Naomi :-> ??

Error 777 means that during HyperCard's idle loop an object had been
left open.  Objects (cards, backgrounds, etc.) are supposed to be closed
during idle and opened only when needed.

Theoretically you should be able to have up to 16384 fields for a card
or background, but practically performance reduces that to about 256
fields.  Having that many fields is also very inefficient as far as
space considerations go.  If you've got more than about 32 fields, I
would reconsider your design.  (This is just a rough heuristic that
comes from personal experience, not any sort of real HyperCard limit.)

About saving your stack... get HC 1.2.2, compact it, and things should
be okay.  777 does not mean that the stack is damaged, just that an
object was left open.  Perhaps you are using a strange XCMD that is
causing problems?  Shutdown XCMDs, for example, are notorious for
trashing stacks.  Users beware!

I am sorry, but I can't tell you much about Naomi :->

** Dan Allen             **   dan@apple.COM (Unix mail)  **
** Software Explorer     **   ALLEN.DAN (AppleLink)      **
** HyperCard Team        **   20525 Mariani Ave. MS 22AE **
** Apple Computer        **   Cupertino, CA 95014        **
** Sam:    "You know what they say, 'You can catch more  **
**          flys with honey than with vinegar.'"         **
** Woody:  "I don't mean to butt in, but you can catch   **
**          the most with dead squirrels."               **