[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] Adding card with different background to the beginning of the stack

czei@quanta.eng.ohio-state.edu (Michael S. Czeiszperger) (02/27/89)

I'm designing a message stack, and now would like to modify
the message reading card design to be a message posting design.
At first I thought that I could use a homogenous stack and just
put "OK" and "CANCEL" buttons over the other buttons in the
"reading" card background to make a "posting" card, but buttons
only seem to be associated with backgrounds.  Why isn't there
a card level button?

So, if there isn't a card level button, the only way I can do this
is to make a new background.  Unfortunately, I would like this
new card background to be at the beginning of the stack, and the
doMenu "new card" method of creating a card sticks it "after" the
current card.

Isn't there an easy way of arranging the backgrounds in a heterogenous
stack?

Thanks for any pointers; working with heterogenous stacks has proved
to be one large headache in an otherwise enjoyable pasttime.

--
Michael S. Czeiszperger   | "Ask me a riddle and I will reply,
Systems Analyst           |  Cottleston, Cottleston, Cottleston pie"

boone@neptune.uucp (Jeff Boone) (02/28/89)

In article <1542@quanta.eng.ohio-state.edu> czei@quanta.eng.ohio-state.edu (Michael S. Czeiszperger) writes:

...stuff deleted
>....  Unfortunately, I would like this
>new card background to be at the beginning of the stack, and the
>doMenu "new card" method of creating a card sticks it "after" the
>current card.
>
>Isn't there an easy way of arranging the backgrounds in a heterogenous
>stack?

  I ran into this same problem once before, and came up with a kludge
to get around it.

  (1)  Go to the first card in your stack and do a copy, and then a
       paste.  This will give you two copies of the card.

  (2)  Now get the new card that you want at the front of the stack
       by cutting or copying it.

  (3)  Go to the first card of the stack and do a paste card.  This
       will give you a sequence of: old first card, new first card,
       old first card...

  (4)  Finally go to the first card of the stack and cut it.

Hope this helps.

Jeff Boone     College of Oceanography   Oregon State University
boone@oce.orst.edu

lhe@sics.se (Lars-Henrik Eriksson) (02/28/89)

In article <1542@quanta.eng.ohio-state.edu>, czei@quanta (Michael S. Czeiszperger) writes:
>...but buttons
>only seem to be associated with backgrounds.  Why isn't there
>a card level button?

Certainly there are card level buttons! If you create a button, that button
will be a background or card button, depending on whether you were in the
background or not - precisely as with fields.

Lars-Henrik Eriksson				Internet: lhe@sics.se
Swedish Institute of Computer Science		Phone (intn'l): +46 8 752 15 09
Box 1263					Telefon (nat'l): 08 - 752 15 09
S-164 28  KISTA, SWEDEN