[net.micro] Public Domain UN*X

carpenter@nbs-vms.ARPA (04/08/85)

All the recent discussion of public domain operating systems brings
to mind Pilot Project SOL.  This is/was a project of Agence de l'Informatique
and INRIA i9n France to produce a non-AT&T UN*X. It was to be written
in PASCAL (!), but a C compiler was intended, along with system call
compatibility to allow UN*X C programs to be run. The  68000 was one
target machine.

I don't know the current status of SOL, but those interested might
contact                 Club SOL
                        Agence de l'Informatique
                        Tour Fiat, 41eme etage        (41st floor)
                        CEDEX 16
                        92084 PARIS-LA DEFENSE
                        France
                        Phone 796-4350
                        Telex  613632
I'm sure that English is well understood the ADI (a French govt agency).
Some years ago I met Robert Mahl, then President of Club SOL, his English
was good.

I'd be interested to hear the current status of this project.

Bob Carpenter

liang@cvl.UUCP (Eli Liang) (04/16/85)

> All the recent discussion of public domain operating systems brings
> to mind Pilot Project SOL.  This is/was a project of Agence de l'Informatique
> and INRIA i9n France to produce a non-AT&T UN*X. It was to be written
> in PASCAL (!), but a C compiler was intended, along with system call
> compatibility to allow UN*X C programs to be run. The  68000 was one
> target machine.
>
> I don't know the current status of SOL, but those interested might
> contact                 Club SOL
>                         Agence de l'Informatique
>                         Tour Fiat, 41eme etage        (41st floor)
>                         CEDEX 16
>                         92084 PARIS-LA DEFENSE
>                         France
>                         Phone 796-4350
>                         Telex  613632
> I'm sure that English is well understood the ADI (a French govt agency).
> Some years ago I met Robert Mahl, then President of Club SOL, his English
> was good.
>
> I'd be interested to hear the current status of this project.
>
> Bob Carpenter

I just wanted to pass on something I was just told.  If rms is right, project
SOL had motives other than simple charity in writing another UNIX.

>From: Richard M. Stallman <rms@MIT-PREP.ARPA>
>To: liang@cvl
>Subject: forwarding an interesting message you may not have seen
>
>I have been told that Project SOL sold its code to a few companies,
>and as a result few people use it.

-eli

Eli Liang  ---
        University of Maryland Computer Vision Lab, (301) 454-4526
        ARPA: liang@cvl, liang@lemuria, eli@mit-mc, eli@mit-prep
        CSNET: liang@cvl  UUCP: {seismo,allegra,brl-bmd}!umcp-cs!cvl!liang