[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] dialing

kateley@Apple.COM (Jim Kateley) (04/17/89)

In article <9981@netnews.upenn.edu> CL06076%UAFSYSB.BITNET@UMRVMB.UMR.EDU (CB Lih) writes:
>Help!  Here's the deal:  I'm using HyperCard 1.2.2 with a Mac SE,
>4 meg RAM, Packard Bell PB2400PLUS modem.  I can't get it to dial!
>It does 3 numbers and quits.  The modem works fine with other applications.
>Other modems work fine with the HC stack (BPhone 2.0b).  Looking over
>the various registers just leaves me more confused. This is such a
>definite symptom I'm hoping someone will be able to zip off a note
>saying something like 'just do an ATSx=y'.
>  Thanks for any help,

Well, the problem may be that your modem is looking at DTR when
it accepts the dial string.  When you tell HC to dial a number,
it opens the serial port, asserting DTR along the way, sends the dial
string,  and closes the serial port (de-asserting DTR).  If your modem
is counting on DTR, then it will stop when it is de-asserted.  You may
have either a switch on the modem or a AT command that will tell it
to ignore DTR.

Jim Kateley          UUCP: {sun, voder, nsc, mtxinu, dual}!apple!kateley
S,P,HnS!             DOMAIN: kateley@apple.COM  Applelink: kateley1
Disclaimer:   What I say, think, or smell does not reflect any policy or
	      stray thought by Apple Computer, Inc.

austing@Apple.COM (Glenn L. Austin) (04/18/89)

In article <9981@netnews.upenn.edu> CL06076%UAFSYSB.BITNET@UMRVMB.UMR.EDU (CB Lih) writes:
>Help!  Here's the deal:  I'm using HyperCard 1.2.2 with a Mac SE,
>4 meg RAM, Packard Bell PB2400PLUS modem.  I can't get it to dial!
>It does 3 numbers and quits.  The modem works fine with other applications.
>Other modems work fine with the HC stack (BPhone 2.0b).  Looking over
>the various registers just leaves me more confused. This is such a
>definite symptom I'm hoping someone will be able to zip off a note
>saying something like 'just do an ATSx=y'.
>  Thanks for any help,

Are you using System 6.0.3?  If you are, then it could be a Time Manager
incompatibility.  The Time Manager was fixed for '030 machines, but it causes
problems with programs running on 68000/68020 machines.  Also, unless you
have a IIx, IIcx or SE/30, or are running 32-bit Quickdraw, you don't need
6.0.3.

| Glenn L. Austin             | The nice thing about standards is that      |
| Apple Computer, Inc.        | there are so many of them to choose from.   |
| Internet: austing@apple.com |       -Andrew S. Tanenbaum                  |
| All opinions stated above are mine -- who else would want them?           |

CL06076%UAFSYSB.BITNET@UMRVMB.UMR.EDU (CB Lih) (04/18/89)

Help!  Here's the deal:  I'm using HyperCard 1.2.2 with a Mac SE,
4 meg RAM, Packard Bell PB2400PLUS modem.  I can't get it to dial!
It does 3 numbers and quits.  The modem works fine with other applications.
Other modems work fine with the HC stack (BPhone 2.0b).  Looking over
the various registers just leaves me more confused. This is such a
definite symptom I'm hoping someone will be able to zip off a note
saying something like 'just do an ATSx=y'.
  Thanks for any help,
      =---> CB Lih <---=  "Picked up for questioning."
Macintosh Support
BITNET: CL06076@UAFSYSB    AppleLink: U0669    Phone: 501-575-2905
US Mail: ADSB 220, University of Arkansas
         155 Razorback Road, Fayetteville, AR 72701, USA
Acknowledge-To: <CL06076@UAFSYSB>

alibaba@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (Alexander M. Rosenberg) (04/19/89)

Need I mention the fact that the "dial" command
only works at 1200 baud (maybe it was 300) and
some modems won't work too well with this.

A good example is to set a Trailblazer Plus
to not autobaud (ats51=2 will set it for 2400)
and the "dial" command will not work at all.

How about:

dial 123-4567 with "ATS51=2" at 2400

or so. Another problem is that when a
Trailblazer is set to autobaud, it
requires about 3 "a" characters to come
from the computer before it will realize the
serial port baud rate.

-  Alexander M. Rosenberg  - INTERNET: alibaba@ucscb.ucsc.edu   - Yoyodyne    -
-  Crown College, UCSC     - UUCP:...!ucbvax!ucscc!ucscb!alibaba- Propulsion  -
-  Santa Cruz, CA 95064    - BITNET:alibaba%ucscb@ucscc.BITNET  - Systems     -
-  (408) 426-8869          - Disclaimer: Nobody is my employer  - :-)         -
-                          - so nobody cares what I say.        -             -

mm@blake.acs.washington.edu (Eric Gorr) (04/28/89)

Here is another message about dialing with Hypercard...hopefully because of
the many messages, this will be replied to quickly.  Anyways, I have
Hypercard 1.2.1 with an Avatex 1200e modem.  I can't get it to dial past
three numbers or something...anyways, it won't dial a full phone #.

Anyone know what I can do to make it work?

Along with this, I am also looking for a XMCD, script, etc. for hypercard
that would allow for text transfers.  Basically what I want to be able
to do is capture text comming on the screen and then be able to or have
it directly put into a scrolling field.

Thanx......GORR@UWACDC.acs.washington.edu