[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] How do I get HyperCard to return the value of a line?

jlc@atux01.UUCP (J. Collymore) (05/12/89)

Is there any way in HyperCard (HC) 1.2.1 that I can have a "find" locate
something on a specified field, return some value for the line that the
searched for object resides on in that field, and then use the "put" command
to clear out the found object on the designated line?

If you have any ideas, please let me know.  Thanks.

						Jim Collymore

p.s.  If there are any public domain, or shareware, XCMDs or XFCNs that can do
      this sort of thing, please tell me where I can get it.

aisl@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Lawrence Landry) (05/12/89)

In article <1195@atux01.UUCP> jlc@atux01.UUCP (J. Collymore) writes:
>Is there any way in HyperCard (HC) 1.2.1 that I can have a "find" locate
>something on a specified field, return some value for the line that the
>searched for object resides on in that field, and then use the "put" command
>to clear out the found object on the designated line?

on delFindLine findText
  find findText
  if the result is not "No match" then -- or whatever HC returns on no match
    get the foundLine
    put it              -- show you what was found
    do "delete" && it   -- delete the line that was found
  end if
end delFindLine

Larry Landry
University of Rochester