[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] Hypercard Improvements

marvel@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu (Howard P. Marvel) (04/07/89)

On the subject of HyperCard improvements, might it be possible to
insert a new stack in the inheritance path?  Suppose that we call it
myHome (or ourHouse for the inveterate TV viewers).  The stack could
contain XCMDs, XFCNs and functions shared by subsidiary stacks without
forcing the author to install these in the Home Stack, a la Focal
Point II.  Short of this, could one define symbolic resource links in
stacks so at least Xcmds, icons, fonts and the like could be shared
without having to load them multiple times?

Secondly, could the Sound return a number as well as a name?  Suppose
that I have a script that synchronizes with sounds, but that the
sounds are repetitive. I would like to do something like

	play sound1
	put the number of the sound into foo
	play sound1
	if the number of the sound is not foo then

My alternative is to load the sound twice under different names, but
my stacks are already too large.

Finally, can anyone give me a pointer to a calculator that I can
include in a stack?  I have added the Apple Calculator DA to stacks
and have arranged to open it from the stack, but I need to catch the
value computed when the calculator is removed from the screen and I
need to have a slightly more sophisticated program, one with
exponentiation and grouping.  It needs to be public domain and source
would be awfully nice.  I don't want to use a calculator written in
Hypertalk, since that would require going to a separate card.  I am
setting the cantModify to true, so I have to save and restore the
state of any work in process whenever I leave for a card.  That's a
pain and slow, too.  Hence the DA request, though a DA converted to an
XCMD is obviously preferable.  For the exceptionally curious, the
reason the DA is attached to the stack is that my HyperCard stacks
must run on a two floppy SE setup given the configurations of our
student labs.  That leaves no room on the System-HyperCard-Home
startup diskette. It also makes for Rice Crispies sound
(snap-crackle-pop).

Thanks for any help.

jdevoto@Apple.COM (Jeanne A. E. DeVoto) (04/07/89)

In article <42120@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> Howard P. Marvel <marvel@cis.ohio-state.edu> writes:

>Finally, can anyone give me a pointer to a calculator that I can
>include in a stack?  I have added the Apple Calculator DA to stacks
>and have arranged to open it from the stack, but I need to catch the
>value computed when the calculator is removed from the screen and I
>need to have a slightly more sophisticated program, one with
>exponentiation and grouping.  ...

Although many people are not aware of this feature, HyperCard will
evaluate any expression (including a mathematical expression) typed
into the message box. Personally, I find this more congenial (especially
for complex calculations) than using a "push-button" calculator, since
you can edit the contents of the message box before you press Return
to evaluate the expression. Also, it has the advantage of being available
whenever the message box is showing, and you can copy the result either
manually or via a script.

jeanne a. e. devoto
jdevoto@apple.com

marvel@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu (Howard P. Marvel) (04/07/89)

In article <28516@apple.Apple.COM>, jdevoto@Apple.COM (Jeanne A. E. DeVoto) writes:
	(repeat of my request for a calculator omitted)
> Although many people are not aware of this feature, HyperCard will
> evaluate any expression (including a mathematical expression) typed
> into the message box. Personally, I find this more congenial (especially
> for complex calculations) than using a "push-button" calculator, since
> you can edit the contents of the message box before you press Return
> to evaluate the expression. Also, it has the advantage of being available
> whenever the message box is showing, and you can copy the result either
> manually or via a script.
>
> jeanne a. e. devoto
> jdevoto@apple.com
Ah yes, but this calculator will be used by a roomful of
undergraduates, many of whom have not so much as SEEN a Macintosh
before.  During my last quarter training session with such a group, a
number of them insisted on running the mouse off the edge of their
work tables, while others complained that the mouse would not work
when moved while suspended several feet above the tables.  And I am to
offer them a message box?  In fact, I trap for the menubar and message
box, set the cantmodify, provide a custom home stack and a fully
bundled setup with elaborate attempts to keep them from having to deal
with file dialogs and the like.  They place diskettes in the SE, start
the machine, and the application begins without their initially
needing to do anything except find the power switch.  If they need to
print on a network, they get a list of available printers via a
hypercard field -- no chooser.  That's why I want a calculator that
looks like a calculator. I suppose that I could construct a pseudo
message box -- i.e. give them a field for their formula -- but somehow
I think the exercise might be more memorable if they punch buttons.

By the way, even though these students by and large haven't seen a Mac
before, most of them are hooked by the end of an hour.  In fact, for
most, they are hooked as soon as the computer addresses them by name.

mithomas@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (Michael Thomas Niehaus) (04/07/89)

In article <42156@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu>, marvel@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu (Howard P. Marvel) writes:
> Ah yes, but this calculator will be used by a roomful of
> undergraduates, many of whom have not so much as SEEN a Macintosh
> before.  During my last quarter training session with such a group, a
> number of them insisted on running the mouse off the edge of their
> work tables, while others complained that the mouse would not work
> when moved while suspended several feet above the tables.  And I am to
> offer them a message box?  In fact, I trap for the menubar and message
> box, set the cantmodify, provide a custom home stack and a fully
> bundled setup with elaborate attempts to keep them from having to deal
> with file dialogs and the like.  They place diskettes in the SE, start
> the machine, and the application begins without their initially
> needing to do anything except find the power switch.  If they need to
> print on a network, they get a list of available printers via a
> hypercard field -- no chooser...

What a shame.  It seems like a crime to hide the Macintosh interface from
the user.  It's ease of use is one of its strong point.  I think that the
effort would be better spent teaching the students how to make the most of
the Finder and the rest of the "real Mac".

> By the way, even though these students by and large haven't seen a Mac
> before, most of them are hooked by the end of an hour.  In fact, for
> most, they are hooked as soon as the computer addresses them by name.

As of about a year ago, I had never seen a Mac before.  Within two months,
I was using PageMaker, Microsoft Word, SuperPaint, HyperCard, etc.  Within
a year, I accepted a job with Apple as their student representative on
campus because of my knowledge.  Yes, it is easy to get hooked on the
Macintosh.  But it is that fact that makes the machine so easy to learn.

Most students don't need to be held by the hand.  They are in school
(supposedly) because they have intelligence.  Of course, some things may
need to be explained to them (like how a mouse works).

This reminds me of the data processing classes here at Ball State.  Of course,
they use IBM PCs and "teach" the students how to use Lotus 1-2-3, dBase III+,
and Word Perfect.  But to do this, they give them a sheet of keystroke by
keystroke instructions to follow.  Just to prove a point, I sat down at a
machine with a set of these instructions, turned off the monitor, and still
completed the assignment without a hitch (of course, I am a pretty good
typist).

-Michael

Of course, these are my views and my views only.  To Apple, I am only a
number.  To Ball State, I am just a source of income.

--
Michael Niehaus        UUCP: <backbones>!{iuvax,pur-ee}!bsu-cs!mithomas
Apple Student Rep      ARPA:  mithomas@bsu-cs.bsu.edu

In article <6603@bsu-cs.bsu.edu> mithomas@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (Michael Thomas Niehaus) writes:
>In article <42156@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu>, marvel@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu (Howard P. Marvel) writes:
(rantings about how I hide the Mac interface from students)

>What a shame.  It seems like a crime to hide the Macintosh interface from
>the user.  It's ease of use is one of its strong point.  I think that the
>effort would be better spent teaching the students how to make the most of
>the Finder and the rest of the "real Mac".

Wrongo.  I am NOT teaching computers.  I am teaching economics.  I
want an intelligent toaster, not a computer.  I want nothing to stand
in the way of a student being able to experiment with various values
input into an economics problem with visual feedback -- the dreaded
economics graphs.  If I were using the Mac to teach English via a
wordprocessor or statistics with something like DataDesk (both of
which are done at OSU), I would certainly spend some time on the
interface, but then I'd be reserving a lab for a quarter and teaching
the class in the lab.  I don't do that.  Instead, the students get a
one hour orientation and a set of diskettes.  The lab has public hours
and I treat it like a library -- the students are free to use the
resource if and only if they find it useful.  I want them to come
back, but I don't want to force them to do so.  That is why I have to
hook them immediately, which I do.

>> By the way, even though these students by and large haven't seen a Mac
>> before, most of them are hooked by the end of an hour.  In fact, for
>> most, they are hooked as soon as the computer addresses them by name.
>
>As of about a year ago, I had never seen a Mac before.  Within two months,
>I was using PageMaker, Microsoft Word, SuperPaint, HyperCard, etc.  Within
>a year, I accepted a job with Apple as their student representative on
>campus because of my knowledge.  Yes, it is easy to get hooked on the
>Macintosh.  But it is that fact that makes the machine so easy to learn.
>
>Most students don't need to be held by the hand.  They are in school
>(supposedly) because they have intelligence.
Of course students have intelligence.  They make intelligent choices
about how to allocate their time.  That is why I've got to convince
them that the approach is useful.  I could force them to do what I
say, but wouldn't that in fact be underestimating their
intelligence???

>Of course, some things may
>need to be explained to them (like how a mouse works).
Yeah, but this is what I want to keep to an absolute minimum

>This reminds me of the data processing classes here at Ball State.  Of course,
>they use IBM PCs and "teach" the students how to use Lotus 1-2-3, dBase III+,
>and Word Perfect.
The operative term here is "data processing classes."  I do NOT want
to teach "data processing classes."

alibaba@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (Alexander M. Rosenberg) (04/13/89)

You are all overlooking the obvious answer to all your requests:

GET SUPERCARD!!!!!!

Graphic objects are supported.
A calculator can be custom designed in a stack that runs independent
of any of stack you may have running.....

The list is endless...

Read all about it in your favorite monthly or weekly.

-  Alexander M. Rosenberg  - INTERNET: alibaba@ucscb.ucsc.edu   - Yoyodyne    -
-  Crown College, UCSC     - UUCP:...!ucbvax!ucscc!ucscb!alibaba- Propulsion  -
-  Santa Cruz, CA 95064    - BITNET:alibaba%ucscb@ucscc.BITNET  - Systems     -
-  (408) 426-8869          - Disclaimer: Nobody is my employer  - :-)         -
-                          - so nobody cares what I say.        -             -

wsj3@apple.com (Will S. Johnston) (04/15/89)

SuperCard is a feature laden beast, however, it is lists for $200 and is a
first version, so all new users become guinea pigs for Silicon Beach.
Where as HyperCard is, and always has been free, also HyperCard 2.0 will
be a feature laden beasts so you might want to save your money.

HyperCard Team, Apple Computer Inc.
MS 22-0 20525 Mariani Ave
Cupertino, Ca 95014
(408) 974-0259 (I do not speak for Apple)

david@jc3b21.UUCP (David Quarles) (04/17/89)

From article <1404@internal.Apple.COM>, by wsj3@apple.com (Will S. Johnston):
	.
	.
	.
> Where as HyperCard is, and always has been free, also HyperCard 2.0 will
> be a feature laden beasts so you might want to save your money.
 	.
	.
	.

HAVE THERE BEEN ANY PUBLISHED (or non-published) RELEASE DATES ??

ANY APPROXIMATE DATES ??

ANY RUMORS ....  ??

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= Dave =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= EOT

taylorj@yvax.byu.edu (04/18/89)

That reminds me of another minor feature that would be nice.  We have done
things in HyperCard that are timed to coincide with music.  The problem is that
on large sounds, the load time is different on different machines (i.e. the
sound starts playing a lot sooner on a Mac IIcx with a hard disk than on a Mac
Plus with a floppy).  It would help a whole lot if a new result were added to
the "the sound" function to indicate the sound is loading.  I.e. the results
of "the sound" after a command like "play mySound" would be something like
"mySound"
"mySound"
"mySound"
"done"
"done"
This way a script would be able to tell pretty closely when the sound actually
began playing.

If anyone is interested, I have managed to solve some of this problem by using
an XCMD to set the volume to 0, play the sound (thus loading it into memory),
then setting the volume back up and playing it.  Horrible kludge, but it helps!

Jim Taylor
Microcomputer Support for Curriculum
101 HRCB, Brigham Young University     |   BITNET: taylorj@byuvax.bitnet
Provo, UT  84602                       |   INTERNET: taylorj@yvax.byu.edu

Rob.Weinberg@f444.n161.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Rob Weinberg) (05/17/89)

Would it also work to play the sound the first time at a very fast tempo (say 9000)?  Perhaps most sounds would be cut off before they could be heard.

FidoNet:  1:161/445      UUCP: sun!apple!bmug!<User.Name>
INTERNET:  bmug!<User.Name>@apple.COM or <User.Name>@bmug.fidonet.org
USNAIL:   BMUG, 1442A Walnut St. #62, Berkeley, CA 94709-1496
BMUG Newsletter articles due June 15!  Authors get free membership.
Send articles to:  pub@bmug.fidonet.org