[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] Field size

mst@csun.edu (05/20/89)

Ok guys and gals, I have been avoiding this, but I can't anymore.

Correct me if I am wrong, (*PLEASE* correct me, I hope to be wrong) but I
have noticed that fields are limited to 128 lines of text, they also seem to
be limited to 256 chars.  Is there a way to have a scrolling field
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
[Opps! here is where I blew it, I was mixing field size problem with the
string size problem.  For those who did not see my mis-posting, never mind.
:-)]

that will allow text to drop off the top of the field when it becomes too
full.  What I want is for incoming data to be put AFTER the current data,
and have old data removed.  Is this possible or must I 'put empty' into the
field before each data deposit?  What can be done about data larger than the
field that you want to store it in?

HELP!

Thanks all,
Mike.

Mike Temkin
...!{sdcrdcf,hplabs,psivax,ttidca}!csun!mst     mst@mx.csun.edu
Cal. State U. Northridge, School of Engineering and Computer Science
Voice phone: (818) 885-3919

jlc@atux01.UUCP (J. Collymore) (05/22/89)

In article <2148@csun.edu>, mx!mst@csun.edu writes:

> What I want is for incoming data to be put AFTER the current data,
> and have old data removed.  Is this possible or must I 'put empty' into the
> field before each data deposit?  What can be done about data larger than the
> field that you want to store it in?
>
> HELP!
>
> Thanks all,
> Mike.
>
> Mike Temkin
> ...!{sdcrdcf,hplabs,psivax,ttidca}!csun!mst	mst@mx.csun.edu
> Cal. State U. Northridge, School of Engineering and Computer Science

PLEASE NOTE:  I have not tried the following scripts, I am only offering them
as possibilities you may wish to experiment with!

If you don't care that it's your first line of "old data," why not just have
your script do something like:

delete line 1 of field x

OR

If you know what the "old data" is that you want to delete from the field,
you can try a script that does something like:

ask "Find and delete what info?"
put it into temp1
find temp1 in field x
put the foundLine into temp2
delete temp2

I hope this helps.

						Jim Collymore

p.s.  When testing things like this, make a duplicate stack to use for
experimenting with FIRST!  If you inadvertantly damage something, at least
you still have your original stack INTACT and uncorrupted to go back to!