[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] how to get field from specific card

jamesm@sco.COM (James M. Moore) (05/11/89)

What's the syntax for getting a field from a specific named card?
I've tried 'put card field "language" of card "globals"' and several
variants, but nothing seems to work.  Is this even a useful thing to
do, or should I just send a message to that card telling it to set a
global variable to the value of that field?

Thanks,
--

		James Moore
			jamesm@sco.com

aisl@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Lawrence Landry) (05/15/89)

In article <3028@viscous.sco.COM> jamesm@sco.COM (James M. Moore) writes:
>What's the syntax for getting a field from a specific named card?

I don't think that there is currently any way to do this other than to go to
that card.  You can make the script faster by locking the screen and avoiding
updating.

lock screen       -- don't show any changes in the screen until we unlock it
push card         -- save the original card
go card "XYZ"
get field "ABC"
pop card          -- return to the original card
unlock screen
put it somewhere

--
Larry Landry
University of Rochester

stone@hydra.unm.edu (Andrew Stone CS.DEPT) (05/15/89)

In article <1974@ur-cc.UUCP> aisl@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Lawrence Landry) writes:
>In article <3028@viscous.sco.COM> jamesm@sco.COM (James M. Moore) writes:
>>What's the syntax for getting a field from a specific named card?
>
>I don't think that there is currently any way to do this other than to go to
>that card.

Whoaaa! You can simply use the entire container description and do it in place:

put fld "myField" of cd "thatOtherFarAwayCd" into mycontainer

Sometimes, on long, convoluted expressions, such as line i of fld j of cd k of
bg l, you can aid HyperCard's parser by using parens to logically define your
expression. This, and using quotes, has saved me numerous times.

andrew

||<<++>>||<<-->>||<<==>>||<<++>>||<<??>>||<<++>>||<<-->>||<<==>>||<<++>>||
!!	   Andrew Stone	            !!        the fictive milieu of	!!
!!         stone@hydra.unm.edu	    <> 	      contemporary society!	!!
||<<++>>||<<-->>||<<==>>||<<++>>||<<??>>||<<++>>||<<-->>||<<==>>||<<++>>||

Barry.Chern@f200.n226.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Barry Chern) (05/24/89)

>>What's the syntax for getting a field from a specific named card?
>I don't think that there is currently any way to do this other than to go
>that card.

You don't have to go to the card. (Field A of card X) should work for most
purposes. But you may have to use or not use the parentheses depending on
the context.

--
Barry Chern  via cmhGate - Net 226 fido<=>uucp gateway Col, OH
UUCP:  ...!osu-cis!n8emr!cmhgate!200!Barry.Chern