[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] HyperCard/HyperTalk books

rieman@boulder.Colorado.EDU (John Rieman) (05/24/89)

What's the consensus as to the best reference book for Hypercard/talk?
I'm looking for something concise, ala UNIX man pages -- command name,
parameters, brief description, maybe a simple example, cross-references.

What I find in the bookstores are mostly wordy, chatty accounts that
seem to be written as much to entertain as to enlighten (one book I looked
at today started by telling how the author first met Bill Atkinson).  I'm
sure a lot of people enjoy that kind of writing, but I just don't have
time to plow through a thousand pages of wittiness to extract a hundred
pages of information.

Recommendations?

-John Rieman

taylorj@yvax.byu.edu (05/26/89)

I know of four HyperCard reference books.  Only one of them is any good.  It's
called simply "HyperTalk," by Lon Poole, from Microsoft Press, ISBN
1-55616-137-3, $5.95.  It's a small pocket-sized reference book, organized
alphabetically, well laid-out, lots of useful information, not too many errors.
If you do much HyperTalk programming, you need this book.

Jim Taylor
Microcomputer Support for Curriculum   |
Brigham Young University               |   Bitnet: taylorj@byuvax.bitnet
101 HRCB, Provo, UT 84602              |   Internet: taylorj@yvax.byu.edu

I have no connection with Microsoft, Apple, Bill Atkinson, Bill the Cat, or
anyone else mentioned or not mentioned in this posting.

dan@Apple.COM (Dan Allen) (05/26/89)

In article <617taylorj@yvax.byu.edu> taylorj@yvax.byu.edu writes:

>I know of four HyperCard reference books.  Only one of them is any good.  It's
>called simply "HyperTalk," by Lon Poole, from Microsoft Press, ISBN
>1-55616-137-3, $5.95.  It's a small pocket-sized reference book, organized
>alphabetically, well laid-out, lots of useful information, not too many errors.
>If you do much HyperTalk programming, you need this book.
>

>Jim Taylor
>Microcomputer Support for Curriculum   |
>Brigham Young University               |   Bitnet: taylorj@byuvax.bitnet
>101 HRCB, Provo, UT 84602              |   Internet: taylorj@yvax.byu.edu
>
>I have no connection with Microsoft, Apple, Bill Atkinson, Bill the Cat, or
>anyone else mentioned or not mentioned in this posting.

I do have connections with Apple and Bill Atkinson: I am a member of the
HyperCard engineering team and I too think that Lon Poole's book is
great.  I use it all the time!  And talk about bang for the buck: $5.95
is a very reasonable price, so reasonable that I bought two copies: one
near the Mac, one at bedside.  Highly recommended.

Dan Allen
Apple Computer