[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] Computational Model

leonr@cs.glasgow.ac.uk (Dr Ruben Leon) (06/12/89)

Could anyone direct me to some litterature on hypercard's computational model?
Most of the papers I've seen relate to applications or are far too general
on the theoretical aspects.  Thanks.

dan@Apple.COM (Dan Allen) (06/13/89)

In article <12527.8906121343@emae.cs.glasgow.ac.uk> leonr@cs.glasgow.ac.uk (Dr Ruben Leon) writes:
>Could anyone direct me to some litterature on hypercard's computational model?
>Most of the papers I've seen relate to applications or are far too general
>on the theoretical aspects.  Thanks.

Other than a few articles about hypertext in general (published in the
IEEE and ACM publications), little has been written about HyperCard
specifically, computational model-wise.

The basic model of HyperCard is that there is a hierarchy of five major
objects: stacks, backgrounds, cards, fields, and buttons.  These objects
have various properties, including scripts written in the HyperTalk
language.  Commands, usually known as messages, are sent either by the
system (for mouse events, for example), or by the user (via handlers, or
user procedures).  These commands are then trapped along a message
hierarchy and processed by the receiver.  Optionally these messages can
then be further passed along.

HyperCard is an object-oriented environment, but it has some
limitations.  For example, a user cannot create a new object type
with the same importance as the basic five.  I believe, however, that
systems which DO support arbitrary objects suffer due to performance
considerations.  HyperCard makes a good tradeoff, with very good
performance.

In addition to these basic features of the model of operation, HyperCard
offers a set of bitmap paint tools, as well as fast text searching.

Is this what you wanted to know about the computational model of
HyperCard?

Dan Allen
HyperCard Team
Apple Computer