[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] SuperCard and HyperDA

petechen@topaz.rutgers.edu (Peter Chen) (06/27/89)

Hi,

	I am currently working for a computer lab, we are trying to establish
some on-line help by using HyperCard.  There is some problems regarding this,
however.  First, is it true that HyperDA does not handle graphics?  Second,
what do the people who have tried SuperCard think of it?  We are seriously
considering the option of developing in SuperCard.  If anybody has solutions
to the problem with HyperDA or suggestions regarding SuperCard, I would very
much appreciate your reply.

				Thank you,

				Peter Chen	CCIS FSDC Tech Writer

campbell@herb-ox.berkeley.edu (Robert I. Campbell) (06/28/89)

In article <Jun.26.15.45.51.1989.20260@topaz.rutgers.edu> petechen@topaz.rutgers.edu (Peter Chen) writes:
>	I am currently working for a computer lab, we are trying to establish
>some on-line help by using HyperCard.  There is some problems regarding this,
>however.  First, is it true that HyperDA does not handle graphics?  Second,
>what do the people who have tried SuperCard think of it?  We are seriously
>considering the option of developing in SuperCard.  If anybody has solutions
>to the problem with HyperDA or suggestions regarding SuperCard, I would very
>much appreciate your reply.

	I have used HyperDA successfully for just the purpose you seem to be
facing, and have found it to be quite adequate. It will work correctly with
any pattern that you put on either a background or a card. I don't know if
it implements the new "show graphics" and "hide graphics" HyperTalk commands
(but I doubt that it does). There are some HyperTalk commands that it will
not implement, but it is easy to write a good help stack avoiding these
commands (the only gripe I had was that I couldn't implement selecting from
a scrolling field of options, but I have learned to do without it).
	If you want, I can send you copies of a help stack for MPL (a share-
ware BASIC interpreter) and for Mathematica, which I wrote to be read by
HyperDA.

					- Robert Campbell -

kmarko@hpdml93.HP.COM (Kurt Marko) (06/30/89)

>/ hpdml93:comp.sys.mac.hypercard / campbell@herb-ox.berkeley.edu (Robert I. Campbell) /  3:14 pm  Jun 27, 1989 /
>
>	I have used HyperDA successfully for just the purpose you seem to be
>facing, and have found it to be quite adequate. It will work correctly with

.....proverbial stuff deleted

>	If you want, I can send you copies of a help stack for MPL (a share-
>ware BASIC interpreter) and for Mathematica, which I wrote to be read by
>HyperDA.

Sorry for replying via the Net, but mail to Mr. Campbell kept
bouncing...

I just happened to be "listening in" on your reply to someone's
query about graphic fields and HyperDA.  You mentioned a help
stack for Mathematica which demonstrates the techniques described
in the reply.  I would be interested in getting a copy of this
stack; both to analyze the HyperTalk code you used, and for its
intended purpose, to serve as an online help file for Mathematica
(something I've wanted for a long time...somehow the  'info'
notebook doesn't quite cut it).

Thanks in advance.

Kurt Marko
kmarko@hpbsla.hp.com

kmarko@hpdml93.HP.COM (Kurt Marko) (07/05/89)

Robert,

Again, sorry for replying via the net, but mail has been futile.
I got the test message just fine, however, I am still having problems
returning mail to you.

Thanks,

Kurt Marko
kmarko@hpbsla.hp.com