[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] Displaying PICT files from HyperCard

slabovit@blackbird.afit.af.mil (Stuart L. Labovitz) (07/11/89)

I am involved in developing a HyperCard based application which will
(hopefully!) display scanned line-art images stored in PICT files.
However, we have not been able to determine how to display the PICT
files from within HyperCard!

I'm sure that someone out there has solved this problem in the past.
Please provide some hints/suggestions/etc, or let me know if it can't be
done.

LT Stuart L Labovitz        full-time:  Wright Research and Development Center
                            part-time:  Air Force Institute of Technology

                       arpa:   slabovit@blackbird.afit.af.mil
(or alternatively      arpa:   labovitz%etd1.dnet@aagate.avlab.wpafb.af.mil)

        I bark, therefore I am!
                                 -- Descarte's Dog

gae@gem.mps.ohio-state.edu (Gerald Edgar) (07/14/89)

There is an XCMD in the Tech Notes stack from Apple, called TNdisplay, or
something like that.  It displays a PICT file. Look in the Stack script
to see how to use it.  When you move it to your own stack, be sure to
move its required STR# resource, too.
--
  Gerald A. Edgar
  Department of Mathematics                     TS1871@OHSTVMA.bitnet

mjohnson@Apple.COM (Mark B. Johnson) (07/14/89)

In article <146@shape.mps.ohio-state.edu> gae@shape.mps.ohio-state.edu (Gerald Edgar) writes:

>There is an XCMD in the Tech Notes stack from Apple, called TNdisplay, or
>something like that.  It displays a PICT file. Look in the Stack script
>to see how to use it.  When you move it to your own stack, be sure to
>move its required STR# resource, too.
>--

If you use this in a stack you distribute, you need to contact Software
Licensing to license it.  Basically, for $50 a year,  you get to use any and
all the XCMDs and XFCNs which Apple has available for licensing.

Mark B. Johnson                                            AppleLink: mjohnson
Developer Technical Support                         domain: mjohnson@Apple.com
Apple Computer, Inc.         UUCP:  {amdahl,decwrl,sun,unisoft}!apple!mjohnson

"You gave your life to become the person you are right now.  Was it worth it?"
                                                         - Richard Bach, _One_

anson@spray.CalComp.COM (Ed Anson) (07/14/89)

In article <1236@blackbird.afit.af.mil> slabovit@blackbird.afit.af.mil (Stuart L. Labovitz) writes:
>I am involved in developing a HyperCard based application which will
>(hopefully!) display scanned line-art images stored in PICT files.
>However, we have not been able to determine how to display the PICT
>files from within HyperCard!

There are a number of products on the market which can display PICT files
within HyperCard. What most of them have in common is that they take control
away from the HyperCard scripts until the user explicitly closes the picture
window.

One exception is HyperWindows, from Tulip Software. It can open a variety of
window types, including a borderless window. Pictures can include gray scale
or color, including 32-Bit QuickDraw images. The most important thing is that
more than one window can be open at a time (up to 16), and the scripts remain
in control while the windows are open. Windows can be closed by user action
or script action, depending on the script-writer's preference.

It is available for $59 (shipping included) from Tulip Software. TechAlliance
offers it at a discount. You can get more information from Tulip Software by
mailing queries to Tulip@applelink.apple.com. You can order by
calling 508-475-8711.

CLAIMER: I know the information above is accurate, because I developed
HyperWindows.
   Ed Anson,    Calcomp Display Products Division,    Hudson NH 03051
   (603) 885-8712,      anson@elrond.CalComp.COM