[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] Problem with videodisc XCMD and P6000

TALLEY-J@osu-20.ircc.ohio-state.edu (James T. Talley) (07/14/89)

We're using videdisc XCMD's from Apple to run a videodisc player
from a Hypercard stack.  We have no problem when the player is a
Pioneer 6000A or a Pioneer 6010A.  However when we use a Pioneer
6000 (not "A" series), there is an annoying pause of a little
more than a second every time you issue a videodisc command.  You
see the results quickly, but the XCMD does not return until after
the pause.

The documentation stack that came with the XCMD's says ``This
cable also works with the older Pioneer 6000, but the software in
this toolkit works best with the "A" series players.''  Is this
the cause of the pause?  We've tried just about everything else.
Is there a solution to this?  What do I need to change in the
source code to make it work better with the Pioneer 6000?

Thanks for any help.

James T. Talley
Computer-Based Instruction Group
The Ohio State University
talley-j@osu-20.ircc.ohio-state.edu
(614) 292-9821

chesley@goofy.apple.com (Harry Chesley) (08/05/89)

In article <12509949272031@osu-20.ircc.ohio-state.edu>
TALLEY-J@osu-20.ircc.ohio-state.edu (James T. Talley) writes:
> We have no problem when the player is a
> Pioneer 6000A or a Pioneer 6010A.  However when we use a Pioneer
> 6000 (not "A" series), there is an annoying pause of a little
> more than a second every time you issue a videodisc command.

Unless there's been an update since I worked on the project (and I don't
think there has been), the HyperCard Videodisc Toolkit does not work
properly with the 6000 player, only with the 6000A. The 6000 lacks several
commands that the 6000A includes, and some are critical for implementing
certain functions. Therefore, some commands will not work properly at all,
while others may have only slight glitches like the one you describe.