[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] deleting 2 of 3 backgrounds in a stack?

18215MES@MSU.BITNET (08/08/89)

Hi there folks,
I merges 3 stacks which were identical, except for the graphics on each card.
It seems that the backgrounds from stacks 2 and 3 came with the cards, now
when I want to modify the background, I must modify all three... Is it possible
to delete 2 of the three backgrounds???
many thanks, Mark Sartor, 221 Ag Hall, MSU, E. Lansing Mi. 48823, 517-332-3609

dlugose@ecsvax.UUCP (Dan Dlugose) (08/09/89)

In article <14418215MES@MSU> 18215MES@MSU.BITNET writes:
>I merges 3 stacks which were identical, except for the graphics on each card.
>It seems that the backgrounds from stacks 2 and 3 came with the cards, now
>when I want to modify the background, I must modify all three... Is it possible
>to delete 2 of the three backgrounds???
>many thanks, Mark Sartor, 221 Ag Hall, MSU, E. Lansing Mi. 48823, 517-332-3609

   Cards are inseperable from their background by ordinary means.  If
You delete a background, you also delete the associated cards; if you
paste a card, you paste it's background unless the stack already has
that background.
   If your stack has a lot of cards, it seems you should write a
script that goes to each card; if it's background is the undesired one,
you shuttle back and forth between that card and a new card on the
wanted background copying and pasting the graphics and whatever else
needs to be moved.
   It will be slow.  A similar alternative is shuttling back and forth
between the old separate stacks and the new stack, copying and pasting
graphics.
   Dan Dlugose
   UNC Educational Computing Service