[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] XCMD DIALOG BOX

yarri@muon.eng.ohio-state.edu (Zaka U. Bhatti) (08/03/89)

Hello.

 Does anyone know of a xcmd that will allow me to 'ask' for more than
 three choices in a dialog box? I have a data base in which I want to
 be able to sort on any of 5 fields. It would be nice to have a 5 button
 dialog box appear with 5 choices and a cancel. Is there something like
 this out there, or should I get hacking?

 Thanks.

 -- Doug

sirkm@ssyx.ucsc.edu (Greg Anderson) (08/04/89)

In article <2738@quanta.eng.ohio-state.edu> yarri@muon.eng.ohio-state.edu (Zaka U. Bhatti) writes:

>Hello.
>
> Does anyone know of a xcmd that will allow me to 'ask' for more than
> three choices in a dialog box?

I don't think so.  (You want 'answer', not ask, btw.)

> I have a data base in which I want to
> be able to sort on any of 5 fields. It would be nice to have a 5 button
> dialog box appear with 5 choices and a cancel.

You could always create a card with six buttons on it and skip the dialog
box...

> Is there something like this out there, or should I get hacking?

If you really want something like this, grab the "ask" stack from
ssyx.  It contains source code, and all of the dialog centering, default
button drawing and so on is already handled.  You could quite easily
modify it to do a six-button answer.

> Thanks.
>
> -- Doug

Welcome.

  ___\    /___               Greg Anderson              ___\    /___
  \   \  /   /         Social Sciences Computing        \   \  /   /
   \  /\/\  /    University of California, Santa Cruz    \  /\/\  /
    \/    \/              sirkm@ssyx.ucsc.edu             \/    \/

american@pnet51.cts.com (Jeff Iverson) (08/10/89)

> Does anyone know of a xcmd that will allow me to 'ask' for more than
> three choices in a dialog box?

What you really need is a wonderful stack by Jay Hodgdon of Ignatz Software by
the name of 'ShowDialog' (current version 1.6).  Which will allow you to
create and display multitudinous varieties of custom dialogs (that you build
yourself!)  available at better shareware catalogs and BBS's everywhere!

Or contact the author at:

AppleLink:  D2792
CompuServe: 70411,63
GEnie: JHODGDON
MacNet: HODGDONJ

or that old snail trick:
Jay Hodgdon
Ignatz Software
587 Cutwater Lane
Foster City CA  94404

** Hey, I don't work for 'em, I compete with 'em, and even *I* love his work!

UUCP: {amdahl!bungia, uunet!rosevax, chinet, killer}!orbit!pnet51!american
ARPA: crash!orbit!pnet51!american@nosc.mil
INET: american@pnet51.cts.com
GEnie:  APOSTASY
AppleLink:  ALL.AMERICAN
U. S. Mail:  All-American Software Development Corp.
             5612 International Parkway
             Minneapolis MN  55428
             Jeff Iverson