[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] What should I do about visual effects on MAC II's

luke@cs.city.ac.uk (Luke Whitaker) (08/08/89)

Thanks for the feedback about setting the userlevel. I still haven't decided
what I should do but at least now I've got some more ideas to go on!

Another thing I would like to get straight is the problem with visual effects
that don't work on the MAC II. (I'm talking about "visual effect dissolve"
etc). I don't have access to one so I can't test this out but I believe its
got something to do with the depth of the bit-image, or maybe wether colour is
on or not ?

Specifically what I need to know is: Can I set the graphics mode of the MAC II
from hypercard so that the visual effects WILL work, and if so how. Do I need
an XCMD or can it be done by HyperTalk ? I've never seen this mentioned in any
of my HyperTalk books so I assume it will require an XCMD. A simple
alternative might be to detect that the stack was running on a MACII and tell
the user what to do to get the visual effects working.

Thanks in advance,
Mail me and I will summarise,

Luke Whitaker, Computer Science, City University, London, EC1V OHB, England.
JANET:	l.whitaker@uk.ac.city.cs	BITNET:	l.whitaker%uk.ac.city.cs@ac.uk
ARPA:	l.whitaker@cs.city.ac.uk (or l.whitaker%uk.ac.city.cs@nss.cs.ucl.ac.uk)
Uucp:	...!mcvax!ukc!citycs!luke	(or luke@citycs.uucp)

kolodny@husc4.UUCP (Jonathan Kolodny) (08/10/89)

From article <116@citycs.UUCP>, by luke@cs.city.ac.uk (Luke Whitaker):
> Thanks for the feedback about setting the userlevel. I still haven't decided
> what I should do but at least now I've got some more ideas to go on!
>
> Another thing I would like to get straight is the problem with visual effects
> that don't work on the MAC II. (I'm talking about "visual effect dissolve"
> etc). I don't have access to one so I can't test this out but I believe its
> got something to do with the depth of the bit-image, or maybe wether colour is
> on or not ?
>
> Specifically what I need to know is: Can I set the graphics mode of the MAC II
> from hypercard so that the visual effects WILL work, and if so how. Do I need
> an XCMD or can it be done by HyperTalk ? I've never seen this mentioned in any
> of my HyperTalk books so I assume it will require an XCMD. A simple
> alternative might be to detect that the stack was running on a MACII and tell
> the user what to do to get the visual effects working.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Mail me and I will summarise,

I was having the same problem on my IIcx with a monochrome monitor, so I
went to the Apple booth at MacWorld Industry Day today, and I asked their
Hypercard representative about it.  He explained that, because 8-bit
graphics are too slow to handle visual effects, the only way for Hypercard
to handle visual effects on a gray-scale or color monitor is to restart the
the machine and reset the color to 2-bit (i.e. black and white).  I haven't
been home yet to try this out, but it sounds perfectly plausible.  Now I
can only wonder why this "fact" wasn't made clear either in the Hypercard
User's manual or any of the Hypercard/Hypertext programming books I have
seen...

Hope this helps,

Jonathan Kolodny
Programmer/Software Developer
Harvard Computer Services

stadler@Apple.COM (Andy Stadler) (08/10/89)

In article <2408@husc6.harvard.edu> kolodny@husc4.UUCP writes:

> [..discussion of Visual effects on color machines..]
>
>I was having the same problem on my IIcx with a monochrome monitor, so I
>went to the Apple booth at MacWorld Industry Day today, and I asked their
>Hypercard representative about it.  He explained that, because 8-bit
>graphics are too slow to handle visual effects, the only way for Hypercard
>to handle visual effects on a gray-scale or color monitor is to restart the
>the machine and reset the color to 2-bit (i.e. black and white).

You don't need to be quite so drastic, fortunately.  Hypercard actually checks
and updates the screen condition quite frequently so it can pick up changes
as soon as you make them.  You can, for example, use the chooser to change
the screen and Hypercard will immediately adjust to the new screen settings.

It will also respond to changes made with FKeys such as Switch-A-Roo.

--Andy         stadler@apple.com