[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] Exposing overlapped fields

andy@gistdev.UUCP (Andy Warinner) (08/10/89)

(I am reposting this since we had some network trouble here)

I am developing a Hypercard stack that will have fields that possibly
overlap each other.  When the user clicks on the exposed portion
of a field that is overlapped, I would like to bring the field closer
so that all of it is visible.  I wrote the following script to do this
but it SLOW (about 4 - 5 seconds on an SE/30 with 4 megs of memory).

Does anyone out there in netland know a faster way to do this?

-- itemLayer contains the field number
lock screen
choose field tool
click at the clickLoc

-- loop to bring the field up to a certain layer
repeat while itemLayer < field "fieldNum"
	doMenu "bring closer"
	add 1 to itemLayer
end repeat

choose browse tool
unlock screen

Thanks in advance

Andrew Warinner    | "Semper ubi sub ubi" - J. Caesar
GIST, Inc.         | ARPANET: andy%gistdev@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu
Standard           | UUCP   : {uunet,pur-ee,convex}!uiucuxc!gistdev!andy -or-
disclaimer...      |                            ...!uunet!gistdev!andy

taylorj@yvax.byu.edu (08/12/89)

There is an undocumented feature that is exactly what you need.  If you hold
down the Shift key when selecting "Bring closer" the object will be brought to
the very front.  The way to do this in a script is

  select <object>     (or choose tool and click on object)
  type "+" with commandKey,ShiftKey

 Jim Taylor
Microcomputer Support for Curriculum   |
Brigham Young University               |   Bitnet: taylorj@byuvax.bitnet
101 HRCB, Provo, UT  84602             |   Internet: taylorj@yvax.byu.edu

stone@unmvax.cs.unm.edu (Andrew Stone) (08/13/89)

In article <478@gistdev.UUCP> andy@gistdev.UUCP (Andy Warinner) writes:

>(I am reposting this since we had some network trouble here)
>
>I am developing a Hypercard stack that will have fields that possibly
>overlap each other.  When the user clicks on the exposed portion
>of a field that is overlapped, I would like to bring the field closer
>so that all of it is visible.  I wrote the following script to do this
>but it SLOW (about 4 - 5 seconds on an SE/30 with 4 megs of memory).
>
>Does anyone out there in netland know a faster way to do this?

Something that has saved me hours in developing is the fact that
SHift-Command-- [minus] and shift-Command-+ bring the selected object to
the back and front respectively. Perhaps you can try something like:
     choose field tool
     select target
     type "+" with commandkey and shiftkey
     choose browse tool

Let us know what actually does the job.

Yaandy [yet another andy]

||<<++>>||<<-->>||<<==>>||<<++>>||<<??>>||<<++>>||<<-->>||<<==>>||<<++>>||
!!	   Andrew Stone	            !!        the fictive milieu of	!!
!!         stone@rye.cs.unm.edu	    <> 	      contemporary society!	!!
||<<++>>||<<-->>||<<==>>||<<++>>||<<??>>||<<++>>||<<-->>||<<==>>||<<++>>||

dlugose@ecsvax.UUCP (Dan Dlugose) (08/15/89)

In article <478@gistdev.UUCP> andy@gistdev.UUCP (Andy Warinner) writes:
>I am developing a Hypercard stack that will have fields that possibly
>overlap each other.  When the user clicks on the exposed portion
>of a field that is overlapped, I would like to bring the field closer
>so that all of it is visible.  I wrote the following script to do this

   How about a different strategy:  Have the fields actually hidden;
have a drawing on the card to represent the fields, with buttons that
will show the field that is chosen.  Of course this is perhaps not
such a good idea if the user needs to choose a field by its content,
and its content is often changing.
Dan Dlugose
UNC Educational Computing Service