[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] Passing Containers in XCMD's

Athos@cup.Portal.com (Rick Eames) (08/15/89)

Okay, I *really* need this one answered...

When HyperCard passes a container, such as a field with 5 separate lines
of info, on to an XCMD, in what format is that containter?  Could I call
assign it to an array[1..5] of STR255 ?  This is what I really want to do,
so that I can go through the container one line at a time, but don't know
if it is possible....

Thanks ahead of time...

Rick Eames

american@pnet51.cts.com (Jeff Iverson) (08/17/89)

Athos@cup.Portal.com (Rick Eames) writes:
>Okay, I *really* need this one answered...
>
>When HyperCard passes a container, such as a field with 5 separate lines
>of info, on to an XCMD, in what format is that containter?  Could I call
>assign it to an array[1..5] of STR255 ?  This is what I really want to do,
>so that I can go through the container one line at a time, but don't know
>if it is possible....
>

>Thanks ahead of time...
>

>Rick Eames

One way of doing this would be through a series of call-backs to HyperCard as
in 'line x of container', or another way would be to parse the lines of your
container into parameters for your XCMD.  Or as ShowDialog does, you could
turn the container into a comma-delimited list and pass that as a single
parameter...

UUCP: {amdahl!bungia, uunet!rosevax, chinet, killer}!orbit!pnet51!american
ARPA: crash!orbit!pnet51!american@nosc.mil
INET: american@pnet51.cts.com
GEnie:  APOSTASY
AppleLink:  ALL.AMERICAN
U. S. Mail:  All-American Software Development Corp.
             5612 International Parkway
             Minneapolis MN  55428
             Jeff Iverson