[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] Interface between HT and Relational DB?

czerny@cpsvax.cps.msu.edu (Barbara J. Czerny) (08/30/89)

Hello,

  Does anybody know if there is an interface that exists between
Hypertalk and some relational DataBase?

   Barb

lauac@mead.qal.berkeley.edu (Alexander Lau) (08/31/89)

In article <4370@cps3xx.UUCP> czerny@cpsvax.cps.msu.edu (Barbara J. Czerny) writes:

>Hello,
>
>  Does anybody know if there is an interface that exists between
>Hypertalk and some relational DataBase?
>
>   Barb

There is an Oracle/HyperCard XCMD set that one can use to hook into
a multiuser database on a remote non-Mac server, and it's "only"
$999. The single-user version is, I think, $199.

--- Alex
UUCP: {att,backbones}!ucbvax!qal.berkeley.edu!lauac
INTERNET: lauac%qal.berkeley.edu@ucbvax.berkeley.edu
FIDONET: Alex.Lau@bmug.fidonet.org (1:161/444)

frankf@Apple.COM (Frank Flynn) (08/31/89)

In article <1989Aug30.175228.18528@agate.uucp> lauac@mead.qal.berkeley.edu (Alexander Lau) writes:
>In article <4370@cps3xx.UUCP> czerny@cpsvax.cps.msu.edu (Barbara J. Czerny) writes:
>>  Does anybody know if there is an interface that exists between
>>Hypertalk and some relational DataBase?
>>   Barb
>
>There is an Oracle/HyperCard XCMD set that one can use to hook into
>a multiuser database on a remote non-Mac server, and it's "only"
                                  ^^^^^^^>Mac server also
>$999. The single-user version is, I think, $199.
>
>--- Alex
Also sybase has promissed something like this (theirs is Non-Mac only)

Frank      frankf@apple.com

In article <34443@apple.Apple.COM> frankf@Apple.COM (Frank Flynn) writes:
>In article <1989Aug30.175228.18528@agate.uucp> lauac@mead.qal.berkeley.edu (Alexander Lau) writes:
>>In article <4370@cps3xx.UUCP> czerny@cpsvax.cps.msu.edu (Barbara J. Czerny) writes:
>>There is an Oracle/HyperCard XCMD set that one can use to hook into
>>a multiuser database on a remote non-Mac server, and it's "only"
>                                  ^^^^^^^>Mac server also
>>$999. The single-user version is, I think, $199.
>>
>>--- Alex
>Also sybase has promissed something like this (theirs is Non-Mac only)
>
>Frank      frankf@apple.com

Thanks, Frank. I was under the impression that Oracle didn't have
Mac server software, but I defer.

Sybase (they're based in Emeryville, just down the road from here)
has a new Hypercard front-end for their SQL stuff, and it's called
(are you ready?) Hybase. I know the guy who did it. I don't know
the pricing on it yet, though.