[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] Xmodem XCMDs?

RAND@merrimack.edu (Rand P. Hall) (08/28/89)

Does anyone know of any Xmodem xcmds that DON'T require user intervention?
One that could be invoked something like:

    xmodemReceive("FOO.BAR")

Rand P. Hall                    UUCP: {uunet,bbn,ulowell}!ginosko!hubdub!rand
Merrimack College               CSNET: rand@merrimack.edu
N. Andover, MA 508.683.7111     Dukakis = 15% tax hike + $1.3 billion deficit

chesley@goofy.apple.com (Harry Chesley) (08/31/89)

The HyperCard Serial Port Toolkit (available from APDA) includes an XModem
XCMD.

kallio@tukki.jyu.fi (Seppo Kallio) (08/31/89)

I think Xmodem is usin 8 bit code and it is not possible here
(LANs and ... they do not pass all characters) so I am more
interested about Zmodem.  What about Zmodem XCMD?

Seppo Kallio

PS. Please mail directly to me (also)

--

kallio@tukki.jyu.fi       Seppo Kallio             phone Finland 941 292809
kallio@finjyu.bitnet      University of Jyvaskyla  Computing Centre

czei@quanta.eng.ohio-state.edu (Michael Czeiszperger) (09/01/89)

In article <3987@internal.Apple.COM> chesley@goofy.apple.com (Harry Chesley) writes:
>The HyperCard Serial Port Toolkit (available from APDA) includes an XModem
>XCMD.

Yes, but it doesn't come with instructions on how to use it...

--
Michael S. Czeiszperger | "Unhappy?  How 'bout a blast from my FUN GUN!"
Systems Analyst         |  --Honorary Member of the HAPPINESS PATROL

chesley@goofy.apple.com (Harry Chesley) (09/01/89)

In article <2961@quanta.eng.ohio-state.edu> czei@quanta.eng.ohio-state.edu
(Michael Czeiszperger) writes:
>>The HyperCard Serial Port Toolkit (available from APDA) includes an XModem
>>XCMD.
>
> Yes, but it doesn't come with instructions on how to use it...

Where <command> is either "send" or "receive". <folder path> is the folder
to receive into. And <file name> is the name to give the received file. It
actually receives into a temporary file in the folder, then renames it to
the <file name> if and only if the receive is successfull. It does
straight XModem, and therefore doesn't care if the contents are MacBinary
or whatever.

There are two other XCMDs, MacBinify and DeMacBinify, which convert a file
on disk to and from MacBinary format.

     MacBinify <original name>,<MacBinned name>
     put DeMacBinify(<MacBinned name>,<new file name>) into foo

DeMacBinify returns the original name of the file, so to completely
restore things you need to do a rename to the name returned by
DeMacBinify. (It doesn't automatically use this name because it might have
to write over an arbitrary file on disk...)

These XCMDs weren't documented in the normal Toolkit documentation because
they weren't developed at Apple as a part of the Toolkit. They were
developed by me on my own time for use with HyperBBS, and at the last
minute I decided to donate them (and the source code in the case of
XModem) to the Toolkit...