[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] No line wrap in Fields?

crsp_ra@gsbacd.uchicago.edu (09/20/89)

I need to have a scrolling list of names in a field.  These names aren't known
ahead of time, and some may be long.  I don't want the names to wrap around to
the next line in the field, if they don't fit on one line.  Is there some way
to get around HC's wrapping of long lines?

Any info appreciated!

Robert

crsp_ra@gsbacd.uchicago.edu
--------------------------------------
all opinions expressed here are my own
--------------------------------------

american@pnet51.orb.mn.org (Jeff Iverson) (09/20/89)

crsp_ra@gsbacd.uchicago.edu writes:
>I need to have a scrolling list of names in a field.  These names aren't known
>ahead of time, and some may be long.  I don't want the names to wrap around to
>the next line in the field, if they don't fit on one line.  Is there some way
>to get around HC's wrapping of long lines?
>
>Any info appreciated!
>
>Robert
>

>crsp_ra@gsbacd.uchicago.edu
>--------------------------------------
>all opinions expressed here are my own
>--------------------------------------

As soon as you get a name to add to the list, you can truncate it immediately.
Using a monospaced (nonproportional) font such as Monaco is a good idea, but
after you get the text to be added to the field, it will be in a container and
if you only want the first, say 50 characters of the container, you could just
tell HyperCard to delete chars 51 to 1000 of container.  The 1000 here is an
arbitrarily large figure which no name (in this case) would hit.  Use whatever
you feel comfortable with.  Then, after clipping the container, add it to your
field.

Hope this helps!

UUCP: {amdahl!bungia, uunet!rosevax, chinet, killer}!orbit!pnet51!american
ARPA: crash!orbit!pnet51!american@nosc.mil
INET: american@pnet51.cts.com
GEnie:  APOSTASY
AppleLink:  ALL.AMERICAN
U. S. Mail:  All-American Software Development Corp.
             5612 International Parkway
             Minneapolis MN  55428
             Jeff Iverson