[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] Query: expert system shells using HyperCard?

ralphw@ius3.ius.cs.cmu.edu (Ralph Hyre) (10/03/89)

I may need to provide a hypercard-front end to an expert system.
Has anyone had some experience out there with products that support this?
I'd prefer to avoid writing my own expert system just so it can run under
hypercard.
Thanks.
                                                        - Ralph

kern@arecibo.aero.org (10/03/89)

In article <6375@pt.cs.cmu.edu>, ralphw@ius3.ius.cs.cmu.edu (Ralph Hyre) writes...

>I may need to provide a hypercard-front end to an expert system.
>Has anyone had some experience out there with products that support this?
>I'd prefer to avoid writing my own expert system just so it can run under
>hypercard.

Neuron Data has an excellent expert system shell/development tool called
Nexpert Object.  It's a bit pricey, but a superb system.  They've also
developed a Nexpert/Hypercard bridge which basically sets Hypercard up
as a front-end to the expert system.  It's my understanding that you can
then set up stand alone expert systems that don't need Nexpert Object.

	JC Kern
	kern@arecibo.aero.org

abbo@tank.uchicago.edu (Laurie Abbott) (10/03/89)

In article <6375@pt.cs.cmu.edu>, ralphw@ius3.ius.cs.cmu.edu (Ralph Hyre) writes:

> I may need to provide a hypercard-front end to an expert system.
> Has anyone had some experience out there with products that support this?
> I'd prefer to avoid writing my own expert system just so it can run under
> hypercard.

-------

I am also interested in running Hypercard as the interface for an
expert system.  I am presently involved in the development of an
expert system written in prolog (originally Simple, now Edinburgh
syntax).  The system will eventually be compiled, and we could run it
on a Mac if there is a reason to do so.  I think a Hypercard frontend
would be reason enough.  What's available?  What kind of XCMD
expertise are we talking about?  I've written more in lisp than in HC,
but I definitely like the interface.

-------
--
	               abbabbo@uchimvs1.bitnet | Bitnet
	     	        abbo@tank.uchicago.edu | Internet

jtw@wuee1.wustl.edu (Trent Wohlschlaeger) (10/03/89)

In article <6375@pt.cs.cmu.edu> ralphw@ius3.ius.cs.cmu.edu (Ralph Hyre) writes:

>I may need to provide a hypercard-front end to an expert system.
>Has anyone had some experience out there with products that support this?
>I'd prefer to avoid writing my own expert system just so it can run under
>hypercard.
>Thanks.
>                                                        - Ralph

I wrote an expert system shell in HyperCard last summer, but never got around
to putting the bells and whistles in it to make it useful to the general
public.  It (obviously) wasn't very fast, (~1 min to backward chain through
about 20 loosely connected rules, if I remember correctly), but did both
forward and backward chaining and had a reasonably complete set of relations.
If you don't hear from anyone else, or if there is enough general interest
from the net, let me know and I'll try and pretty it up enough to send to
c.s.m.b and the wonderful people at sumex.  Dissertation permitting, of
course!

Trent

mlloyd@maths.tcd.ie (Michael Lloyd) (10/06/89)

Could I expand the question by asking which, if any, of the Query Language
add-ons has been tried in SuperCard?  I intend to do some developing in
this direction which will be colour-reliant, so using HC is too much like
hard work!

Mike.

Mike Lloyd, Dept of Statistics, |
Trinity College, Dublin,        |      "COGITO, ERGO CHICO & ZEPPO"
Ireland.                        |          Tonio K.
(mlloyd@maths.tcd.ie)           |