[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] Too Much Recursion

dale@ora.ora.com (Dale Dougherty) (10/08/89)

I have a series of stacks that I distribute.  A couple of people
who use them have reported a "Too Much Recursion" message. I have
been unable to duplicate it running the stacks on a variety of Macs.  In other
words, I can't track the message down to anything that's happening
in my scripts.  Are there known HyperCard bugs that might
cause this problem?  (In both cases, they are using 1.2.2 and my
stacks were written using that version.)    I'd like to hear any suggestions to
help me solve this problem.

american@pnet51.orb.mn.org (Jeff Iverson) (10/10/89)

dale@ora.ora.com (Dale Dougherty) writes:
>I have a series of stacks that I distribute.  A couple of people
>who use them have reported a "Too Much Recursion" message. I have
>been unable to duplicate it running the stacks on a variety of Macs.  In other
>words, I can't track the message down to anything that's happening
>in my scripts.  Are there known HyperCard bugs that might
>cause this problem?  (In both cases, they are using 1.2.2 and my
>stacks were written using that version.)    I'd like to hear any suggestions to
>help me solve this problem.

/l
.li
The users of your stacks may have openStack, openBackground, or openCard
handlers in their Home Stacks which are intercepting system messages from your
stacks.  For example, if someone was using a handler which upon opening a new
stack, went back to the last stack to record where they were coming from and
subsequently sent a new openstack message which would spiral them into a 'Too
Much Recursion' error message.

UUCP: {amdahl!bungia, uunet!rosevax, chinet, killer}!orbit!pnet51!american
ARPA: crash!orbit!pnet51!american@nosc.mil
INET: american@pnet51.cts.com
GEnie:  APOSTASY
AppleLink:  ALL.AMERICAN
U. S. Mail:  All-American Software Development Corp.
             5612 International Parkway
             Minneapolis MN  55428
             Jeff Iverson