[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] Supercard field attributes screwed up!

d83_sven_a@tekno.chalmers.se (SVEN AXELSSON) (10/08/89)

What is this?? Am I going nuts or what?
I have a small SuperCard project with some data in it (~100 cards).
I want to add a new background field to it with text-attributes different
from the standard ones. In some completely (?) random fashion on about 50%
of the cards the text attribute doesn't stick, instead I get the standard
attributes. This is a BACKGROUND field, remember? If I change it, it should
affect ALL instances. This is EXTREMELY annoying!! Is there a fix, am I
doing something wrong, or is it Silicon Beach? Arrgh!
A related problem - the style of text copied from a field to another seems
to always override the attributes of the field being copied to. This is
usually NOT what I want, so can I work around it somehow?
Please help me!!!

+-------------------------+--------------------------------+------------------+
|   Sven Axelsson         |  d83_sven_a@tekno.chalmers.se  |  DISCLAIMER:     |
|   dep:t of Linguistics  |          (^^ best ^^)          |                  |
|   univ. of Gothenburg   |        dlv_sa@hum.gu.se        |  This is not     |
|   SWEDEN                |      usdsa@seguc21.bitnet      |  a disclaimer.   |
+-------------------------+--------------------------------+------------------+

moriarty@tc.fluke.COM (Jeff Meyer) (10/12/89)

In article <2148@tekno.chalmers.se> d83_sven_a@tekno.chalmers.se (SVEN AXELSSON) writes:
>What is this?? Am I going nuts or what?
>I have a small SuperCard project with some data in it (~100 cards).
>I want to add a new background field to it with text-attributes different
>from the standard ones. In some completely (?) random fashion on about 50%
>of the cards the text attribute doesn't stick, instead I get the standard
>attributes. This is a BACKGROUND field, remember? If I change it, it should
>affect ALL instances. This is EXTREMELY annoying!! Is there a fix, am I
>doing something wrong, or is it Silicon Beach? Arrgh!

I know, this stumped me for some time.  However, in one of the help stacks
(either from the original disks, or from the update disk you get upon
registering with Silicon Beach), they explain that their implementation of
the ability to have multiple fonts/styles in background fields means that
changing the default font/style for a background field has to be done for
*each* card in the stack, via a script.  Silicon Beach gives you an example
script, but alas, it has bugs in it.  And even after *that*, I found that
setting some field attributes (font size or style) would unset other file
attributes (font name) for the field!!  It seems to depend on whether there
was something in the field or not.  I sent them a fairly involved bug
report...

Also, you may note that the lines in the field may shrink/expand upon data
being put in the field.  And, of course, you'll note that putting your
cursor in a field causes the lines of the field to disappear!

There are things I really like about SuperCard, but their treatment of
fields is *not* one of them.

>A related problem - the style of text copied from a field to another seems
>to always override the attributes of the field being copied to. This is
>usually NOT what I want, so can I work around it somehow?

I'm not sure you can, unless it's via a script.  Actually, that doesn't
bother me so much, since that's what I'd expect in a multi-font/style/size
environment like this.  It would be VERY nice, though, to specify that you
*didn't* want this functionality in a field when you create it.

                           "Boy, when we're on the cover of "Popular
                            Mechanics," I'll have some choice words to say
                            about family encouragement."
---
                                        Moriarty, aka Jeff Meyer
INTERNET:     moriarty@tc.fluke.COM
Manual UUCP:  {uw-beaver, sun, microsoft}!fluke!moriarty
CREDO:        You gotta be Cruel to be Kind...