[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] Linking two or more scroll fields together

mi@chyde.uwasa.fi (Matti Inkinen HKJ) (09/21/89)

Hello !

My problem is as follows:

I'm trying to link four scroll fields together so that they should scroll
simultanously.

In you know, please e-mail me.

	*  Matti Inkinen		e-mail  mi@chyde.uwasa.fi     *
	*  University of Vaasa		 	inkinen@vakk.uwasa.fi *
	*  Finland			voice	358-(9)61-248302      *

shani@TAURUS.BITNET (10/03/89)

Please E-Mail me too!

O.S. (shani@Math.Tau.Ac.IL)

mi@chyde.uwasa.fi (Matti Inkinen HKJ) (10/03/89)

In article <1119@taurus.BITNET>, shani@TAURUS.BITNET writes:

> Please E-Mail me too!
Shalom!

There is at least two possibilities of solving the problem.
First:
	put scroll of field x into scroll of field y1
	put scroll of field x into scroll of field y2
	and so on

It works but is slow and ain't working smoothly.

Second:
There is a XCMD in a stack called DartmouthXCMD. It's shareware or PD (I don't
remember which). It includes three possible XCMD's for this purpose and is
somewhat faster. You'll get the DarthmouthXCMD f.ex. with ftp anonymous from
chyde.uwasa.fi (128.214.12.3).

	*  Matti Inkinen		e-mail  mi@chyde.uwasa.fi     *
	*  University of Vaasa		 	inkinen@vakk.uwasa.fi *
	*  Finland			voice	358-(9)61-248302      *

baum@Apple.COM (Allen J. Baum) (10/04/89)

[]
>In article <824@chyde.uwasa.fi> mi@chyde.uwasa.fi (Matti Inkinen HKJ) writes:
>
>There is at least two possibilities of solving the problem.
>First:
>	put scroll of field x into scroll of field y1
>	put scroll of field x into scroll of field y2
>	and so on
>
>It works but is slow and ain't working smoothly.
>
>Second:
>There is a XCMD in a stack called DartmouthXCMD. It's shareware or PD (I don't
>remember which). It includes three possible XCMD's for this purpose and is
>somewhat faster. You'll get the DarthmouthXCMD f.ex. with ftp anonymous from
>chyde.uwasa.fi (128.214.12.3).

I have Dartmouth XCMDS v 3.1, and I can't see anything that might be
construed as solving the problem of linked scrolling fields. Which ones
were you thinking of?

--
		  baum@apple.com		(408)974-3385
{decwrl,hplabs}!amdahl!apple!baum

lb0q+@andrew.cmu.edu (Leslie Burkholder) (10/10/89)

A while back mi@chyde.uwasa.fi asked for a solution to the following
problem:
> I'm trying to link four scroll fields together so that they should
scroll simultanously.
There is a Multiscroll XCMD by Oscar Hills that may do what is wanted.
It is available from
Somak Software Inc
535 Encinitas Blvd #113
Encinitas CA 92024
USA

tim@hoptoad.uucp (Tim Maroney) (10/16/89)

In article <AZADyFW00Wo3I1NnhO@andrew.cmu.edu> lb0q+@andrew.cmu.edu
(Leslie Burkholder) writes:
>A while back mi@chyde.uwasa.fi asked for a solution to the following
>problem:
>> I'm trying to link four scroll fields together so that they should
>scroll simultanously.
>There is a Multiscroll XCMD by Oscar Hills that may do what is wanted.
>It is available from
>Somak Software Inc
>535 Encinitas Blvd #113
>Encinitas CA 92024
>USA

Hmm.  I've done this with scripts, and it is *slow*, even with only two
fields.  I'm hoping it will improve in HyperCard 2.0, which is supposed
to have a lot of performance improvements.  The script-based solution
is way too slow to be usable.  Even better than improving scrolling
performance would be to make explicit commands controlling columnar
output available; this is hardly too much to ask of a hypertext-like
system.

What I'm wondering is how this could be sped up with an XCMD, providing
you're using real scrolling fields.  I mean, all the XCMD can do is ask
HyperCard to interpret set scroll commands, right?  The interpreter is
not the bottleneck, it's the speed of scrolling and screen updating.  I
suppose you could do some sort of awful patch-type solution that would
bypass HyperCard's scroll mechanism, but it wouldn't work across
versions.  Either he's not using real scrolling fields, or I'm missing
something.  (If it turns out that HyperCard has some kind of internal
delay counter that you can mess with, and it's running that slow on
purpose, I will be pissed.)

A good flame strengthens its points; it does not stand in lieu of them.