[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] What Happened to 1.2.3 & 1.2.4

kent@sunfs3.camex.uucp (Kent Borg) (10/16/89)

I saw a piece of promotional liturature for the Portable the other
night.  On the back it said something about HyperCard 1.2.3.

Someone once thought 1.2.3 existed, and the existance of 6.0.4
blows the "Apple thinks the Japanese are too afraid of the number `4'
for it to be used in a release number." idea.

So, any ideas of what problems made those two releases D.O.A.?

--
Kent Borg				"Then again I could be foolish
kent@lloyd.uucp				 not to quit while I'm ahead..."

american@pnet51.orb.mn.org (Jeff Iverson) (10/23/89)

kent@sunfs3.camex.uucp (Kent Borg) writes:
>I saw a piece of promotional liturature for the Portable the other
>night.  On the back it said something about HyperCard 1.2.3.
>
>Someone once thought 1.2.3 existed, and the existance of 6.0.4
>blows the "Apple thinks the Japanese are too afraid of the number `4'
>for it to be used in a release number." idea.
>
>So, any ideas of what problems made those two releases D.O.A.?
>
>--
>Kent Borg				"Then again I could be foolish
>kent@lloyd.uucp				 not to quit while I'm ahead..."
>or					     -from Evita (sung by Juan Peron)
>...!husc6!lloyd!kent

Considering that Microsoft jumped Excel from 1.5 to 2.2 and Word from 3.02 to
4.0, I can live with Apple's slight number diddling, chalk it up to internal
test versions... At least HyperCard 1.2.5 works with System 6.0.4 which is
more than you can say about any Microsoft product on a Macintosh IIci...

I wonder if MS will get their act together by the time Apple releases the
33Mhz Macintosh IIcr...

UUCP: {amdahl!bungia, uunet!rosevax, chinet, killer}!orbit!pnet51!american
ARPA: crash!orbit!pnet51!american@nosc.mil
INET: american@pnet51.cts.com
GEnie:  APOSTASY
AppleLink:  ALL.AMERICAN
U. S. Mail:  All-American Software Development Corp.
             5612 International Parkway
             Minneapolis MN  55428
             Jeff Iverson