[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] HyperCard refuses to send "on openCard" message

roh@gmdzi.UUCP (Peter Rohleder ) (10/19/89)

I neither know if following problem is a HyperCard bug nor if it ever
has been discussed in this newsgropup(I'm working with HyperCard 1.2.2).

If you have a card in your stack with has a message handler "on openCard"
I would think that this message will be send always when the card is opened.

Did you ever try to delete another card in the stack so that automatically
the previouse card which has the message handler "on openCard" will be opened.

I tried it and the card which automatically gets opened didn't receive
the "openCard" message.

For example:

Create a card with this message handlers:

on openCard
  answer "now opening this card"
end openCard

on closeCard
  answer "now closing this card"
end closeCard

Now create a second card in this stack.
Then delete this second card.
You will see that you don't get the dialog "now opening this card" on the
screen.

Is it a bug or is my idea about what message HyperCard has to send wrong?

Peter Rohleder
e-mail: roh@gmdzi.uucp

National Research Center for
Computer Science
Schloss Birlinghoven
Postbox 1240

D-5205 Sankt Augustin
Federal Republic of Germany

lhe@sics.se (Lars-Henrik Eriksson) (10/23/89)

In article <1343@gmdzi.UUCP>, roh@gmdzi (Peter Rohleder ) writes:

>I neither know if following problem is a HyperCard bug nor if it ever
>has been discussed in this newsgropup(I'm working with HyperCard 1.2.2).
>
>If you have a card in your stack with has a message handler "on openCard"
>I would think that this message will be send always when the card is opened.
>
>Did you ever try to delete another card in the stack so that automatically
>the previouse card which has the message handler "on openCard" will be opened.
> [....]
>Is it a bug or is my idea about what message HyperCard has to send wrong?

As far as I can understand, this is not a bug, but a deliberate change in HC
version 1.2.

I would appreciate if someone from Apple could explain the rationale for this
change, to me is seems completely unintuitive.
--
Lars-Henrik Eriksson				Internet: lhe@sics.se
Swedish Institute of Computer Science		Phone (intn'l): +46 8 752 15 09

Bruce_Alan_Carter@cup.portal.com (10/27/89)

The problem with HyperCard not sending certain messages is known by Apple, and
is definitely a bug.  You'll find that it not only happens with open and close
card, but also open and close background.  This gave me fits in a project that
had special menu bar items added for the different backgrounds.  There are
various kludges around it, but nothing clean.  Hopefully this anomalous
behavior will cease in 2.0.