[net.micro] IBM 7300 query

tre@sdcarl.UUCP (thomas r erbe) (04/12/85)

Does the 7300 have a bus?  Expansion slots?  If so, what kind of bus is it?
--
	thomas r. erbe
	{ucbvax,ihnp4,akgua,hplabs,sdcsvax}!sdcarl!tre

tre@sdcarl.UUCP (thomas r erbe) (04/17/85)

In article <165@sdcarl.UUCP> tre@sdcarl.UUCP (thomas r erbe) writes:
>Does the 7300 have a bus?  Expansion slots?  If so, what kind of bus is it?
>--
>	thomas r. erbe
>	{ucbvax,ihnp4,akgua,hplabs,sdcsvax}!sdcarl!tre

In my query, on the subject line, I called the AT&T machine an IBM 7300.  This
was a mistake caused by my own wishful thinking.  That is, it would be nice if
the AT&T had public bus specification and BIOS like the IBM.  Of course, this
mistake caused a deluge of nasty flames through e-mail.  Please refrain
yourselves.

Also, I have heard that the AT&T bus info was private.  Is this true?  Helpful

Thank You
--
	thomas r. erbe
	{ucbvax,ihnp4,akgua,hplabs,sdcsvax}!sdcarl!tre

spear@ihopb.UUCP (Steven Spearman) (04/18/85)

There are 3 expansion slots - specifications currently unknown.
But we were assured by AT&T Information Systems reps that
this would be an open architecture machine with all specs
avilable.

Steve Spearman
AT&T Bell Labs
ihnp4!ihopb!spear

wfmans@ihuxb.UUCP (w. mansfield) (04/18/85)

> In article <165@sdcarl.UUCP> tre@sdcarl.UUCP (thomas r erbe) writes:
> >Does the 7300 have a bus?  Expansion slots?  If so, what kind of bus is it?
> >--
> >	thomas r. erbe
> >	{ucbvax,ihnp4,akgua,hplabs,sdcsvax}!sdcarl!tre
>
> 	{ucbvax,ihnp4,akgua,hplabs,sdcsvax}!sdcarl!tre

The UNIX PC has three expansion slots, according to the product blurb.
It's based on the MC68010 with a 16 bit data bus, so one can hope that
some standard bus (Multibus?) is on it, but AT&T is not advertising it.
By the way, at the risk of being flamed, the software I/O interface is
standard UNIX system V, as defined in the interface guide, so it is public
record.

		W. Mansfield   ihnp4!ihuxb!wfmans

dan@digi-g.UUCP (Dan Messinger) (04/24/85)

In article <165@sdcarl.UUCP> tre@sdcarl.UUCP (thomas r erbe) writes:
>Does the 7300 have a bus?  Expansion slots?  If so, what kind of bus is it?
>--
Whats an IBM 7300?

The AT&T 7300 does have a bus, with a few open slots.  The bus is
proprietary.

Dan Messinger
DSC
ihnp4!umn-cs!digi-g!dan