[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] buttons and fields in the background

sandyg@tekirl.LABS.TEK.COM (Sandy Grossmann) (10/27/89)

The "Bring Closer" and "Send Farther" commands don't seem to work on
buttons and fields in the background.  Is this a bug or a feature?  :-)
I originally had a transparent button in the background and found it
necessary to write text in a field in the same area.  When I created the
field, I could no longer access the button.  Sending the field farther back
and bringing the button closer didn't work at all.  Neither did moving the
button out and then placing the button "on top" of the field.  Apparently
the *old* order (button "underneath" field) was strictly enforced.  Weird.

Sandy Grossmann       sandyg@tekirl.labs.tek.com

jdevoto@Apple.COM (Jeanne A. E. DeVoto) (11/01/89)

In article <6237@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM> sandyg@tekirl.LABS.TEK.COM
(Sandy Grossmann) writes:
>I originally had a transparent button in the background and found it
>necessary to write text in a field in the same area.  When I created the
>field, I could no longer access the button.  Sending the field farther back
>and bringing the button closer didn't work at all.  Neither did moving the
>button out and then placing the button "on top" of the field.

It sounds like the button was in the background and the field was in the
card layer. Bring Closer and Send Farther only work within a layer; in
other words, any card object will be "closer" than all background objects.
--
====== jeanne a. e. devoto ========================================
 jdevoto@apple.com  |  You may not distribute this article under a

sandyg@tekirl.LABS.TEK.COM (Sandy Grossmann) (11/02/89)

In article <36081@apple.Apple.COM> jdevoto@Apple.COM (Jeanne A. E. DeVoto) writes:

>It sounds like the button was in the background and the field was in the
>card layer.

Sorry, no.  Try it, you'll hate it!  Start with a new stack.  Create
a button.  Create a field on top of the button.  Lock the text of the field.
Select the field and send it farther back.  Select the button and
bring it closer.  Try to press the button.  No cigar!  It doesn't
matter whether both are created in the background or both are created
on the card.  Ya just can't switch 'em.  The only way around it is
to copy the button, delete it, then paste the blasted thing on top.
The world won't fall apart because of this, but it IS a nuisance...

Sandy Grossmann  sandyg@tekirl.labs.tek.com

taylorj@yvax.byu.edu (11/04/89)

I just tried the sequence Sandy described (make button, make locked field on
top, send field farther back, bring button closer).  I then clicked on the
button and contrary to Sandy's experience it worked just fine.

I suspect the problem is that buttons and fields can be intermixed.  I.e.,
field 1 can be between button 1 and button 2 (between layers, that is).  So you
are sending the field behind another field or button, but not behind the button
you're interested in.  The
solution is to hold down the shift key when sending something farther or
bringing it closer.  This sends it ALL the way back or ALL the way forward.

Jim Taylor
Microcomputer Support for Curriculum
Brigham Young University
taylorj@yvax.byu.edu