[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] HyperCard Bug?

hpoppe@bierstadt.ucar.edu (Herb Poppe) (11/09/89)

For both:

MacPlus, System 6.0.3, HyperCard 1.2.2
Mac II,  System 6.0.2, HyperCard 1.2.2

The expression:

  theChar >= "A" and theChar <= "Z"

is true for values of theChar from "a" through "y" and "A" though "Z"
(inclusive); it is false for the value "z".

The expression:

  theChar >= "a" and theChar <= "z"

is true for values of theChar from "a" through "z" and "B" though "Z"
(inclusive); it is false for the value "A".

This is not the behavior I expect! Does this problem exist in HC 1.2.5?

Herb Poppe      NCAR                         INTERNET: hpoppe@ncar.ucar.edu
(303) 497-1296  P.O. Box 3000                   CSNET: hpoppe@ncar.CSNET
		Boulder, CO  80307               UUCP: hpoppe@ncar.UUCP

zben@umd5.umd.edu (Ben Cranston) (11/10/89)

In article <5071@ncar.ucar.edu> hpoppe@NCAR.UCAR.EDU (Herb Poppe) writes:

>  theChar >= "A" and theChar <= "Z"
> is true for values of theChar from "a" through "y" and "A" though "Z"
> (inclusive); it is false for the value "z".
>  theChar >= "a" and theChar <= "z"
> is true for values of theChar from "a" through "z" and "B" though "Z"
> (inclusive); it is false for the value "A".

If you consider the characters to be ordered in the Human friendly sequence:

AaBbCcDdEeFfGg ... XxYyZz

you will see that the examples given make perfect sense.  Perhaps what is
needed in your particular application is

   theChar >= "A" and theChar <= "z"

--
Sig     DS.L    ('ZBen')       ; Ben Cranston <zben@Trantor.UMD.EDU>
* Computer Science Center Network Infrastructures Group