[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] system messages

aaalexis@sactoh0.UUCP (Andrew A. Alexis) (11/10/89)

I am developing an informational display using hypercard on the
effects of air pollution.  Part of this display involves the
display of the current air quality, using a national instruments
A/D board and the suitable monitoring equipment.  What I would like
to be able to do is to have the stack log data every N minutes or
so, while simulataneously maintaining the informational display.
In other words, I need some kind of system message to put in the
stack script like " on timetick .."so that the users can be doing
something else in the stack.  What I really need is multifinder,
but I can't wait that long.  I don't want to do any busywaiting
(do forever..is it time yet? ..end do). Is there any existing XFCN
or XCMD available that would do this? Could it be done?
I was planning to use on idle to approximate a regular sampling
interval.  Any ideas?
--
   Andy Alexis        UUCP:ames!pacbell!sactoh0!aaalexis
  "Toto kansasoseum non est cognito" -- Farley

tom@wcc.oz (Tom Evans) (11/14/89)

In article <2060@sactoh0.UUCP>, aaalexis@sactoh0.UUCP (Andrew A. Alexis) writes:
> I am developing an informational display using hypercard on the

> to be able to do is to have the stack log data every N minutes or
> so, while simulataneously maintaining the informational display.
> In other words, I need some kind of system message to put in the
> stack script like " on timetick .."so that the users can be doing
> something else in the stack.

In the Stack script:

on openStack
  global whenTo, doItInterval
  put 10 into doItInterval -- the interval in seconds
  put the seconds + doItInterval into whenTo
end openStack

on idle
  global whenTo, doItInterval
  if the seconds > whento then
    add doItInterval to whenTo
    (do whatever it is you want to do - preferably send a message to
     something. Don't put a wad of code here - it'll probably slow the
     script down too much)
  end if
  pass idle
end idle

Put it in your Home Stack Script and it will follow you ANYWHERE!

			    ---------
Tom Evans  tom@wcc.oz.au	|
Webster Computer Corp P/L	| "The concept of my
1270 Ferntree Gully Rd		|  existence is an
Scoresby VIC 3179    Australia	|  approximation"
Australia			|
61-3-764-1100  FAX ...764-1179	|      D. Conway