[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] hypertext =/= HyperCard

thom@dewey.soe.berkeley.edu (Thom Gillespie) (11/15/89)

In article <6971@pt.cs.cmu.edu> toad@nl.cs.cmu.edu (Todd Kaufmann) writes:

>HyperCard is not hypertext.  Please note the existence of comp.sys.mac.hypercard.
>
>HyperCard is ``hyper'' cards [Kimb89];
>  ``cards'' in the sense of NoteCards [Hala88];
>  hyper in the sense of buttons and graphics and other whizzy things.
>
>This is not to say there is no intersection between the two;
> some hypertext-type things can be done within it.
>It provides a more constrained structure and a simple language, which are
> good for some things, like: fast proto-typing, simple front-ends, and
> CAI-type uses.
>

>But I'd like to see more discussion of hypertext issues (especially see
>[Hala87]), rather than HyperCard trivia.

I think there is room on this discussion for 'trivial' things like stacks.

How much energy does it take to press the 'n' key to get to the next
'important' thing.

You quoted Ted Nelson. He was called trivial for a long time. Does trivial have anything to do with the number of people interested in something?

I have seen a lot of discussion on 'non-trivial' things which were not
significant. I think just the fact that thousands of people who 2 years ago
couldn't spell the word hypermedia are interested in this issue indicates that
while hypercard may be trivial it is not insignificant.

Please Press 'n' to continue :-)

--Thom Gillespie

hankin@sauron.osf.org (Scott Hankin) (11/17/89)

Excuse me, but I believe that the name of this group is
comp.sys.mac.hypercard.  What is the objection to HyperCard
discussion?  HyperCard certainly =/= hypertext, but is that a good
reason to abandon the original reasoning behind this group?
------------------------------
Scott Hankin  (hankin@osf.org)
Open Software Foundation

gerry@zds-ux.UUCP (Gerry Gleason) (11/17/89)

In article <20@zds-ux.UUCP> gerry@zds-ux.UUCP (Gerry Gleason) writes:
>In article <6971@pt.cs.cmu.edu> toad@nl.cs.cmu.edu (Todd Kaufmann) writes:
>>Current-hypercard-to-hypertext-ratio: 5/13
> . . .
>Well said.
 [etc]

Oops, my previous article went to the wrong place.  I'll repost in the
right place, and try to cancel.  Sorry.

Gerry Gleason