[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] Sound bug

ben@ut-emx.UUCP (Benjamin J. Sloan) (11/15/89)

Here's what appears to be a bug.  I've a stack with a command to play a
digitized sound in it.  If I open the stack and hit the button, the sound
plays, as planned.  If however, I proceed to use the stack for a while, moving
around, running button scripts, etc., the sound won't play.  The button for the
sound does the other things it is supposed to do, but the sound does not come
out.  The sound won't come back until I re-open the stack.

Could this be memory limited? (I use 1 meg).  It's a small sound (<30K).
What's going on?

Thanks in advance for replies

Ben Sloan	University of Texas Geology Dept.	ben@emx.utexas.edu

moriarty@tc.fluke.COM (Jeff Meyer) (11/16/89)

In article <20903@ut-emx.UUCP> ben@ut-emx.UUCP (Benjamin J. Sloan) writes:
>Here's what appears to be a bug.  I've a stack with a command to play a
>digitized sound in it.  If I open the stack and hit the button, the sound
>plays, as planned.  If however, I proceed to use the stack for a while, moving
>around, running button scripts, etc., the sound won't play.  The button for the
>sound does the other things it is supposed to do, but the sound does not come
>out.  The sound won't come back until I re-open the stack.
>
>Could this be memory limited? (I use 1 meg).  It's a small sound (<30K).
>What's going on?

Any chance that you're using SoundMaster?  I've noticed similar situations
(admittedly under MultiFinder) when using SoundMaster with various
applications, where the sound goes out on the application after the first time.

                           "A born-again Christian, Mr. [Rupert] Murdoch
                            claimed that his newspapers -- including the
                            evangelising SUN -- are aids to a moral revival."
                                           -- The Economist, 10/21/89
---
                                        Moriarty, aka Jeff Meyer
INTERNET:     moriarty@tc.fluke.COM
Manual UUCP:  {uw-beaver, sun, microsoft, hplsla, uiucuxc}!fluke!moriarty
CREDO:        You gotta be Cruel to be Kind...

tom@wcc.oz (Tom Evans) (11/17/89)

In article <20903@ut-emx.UUCP>, ben@ut-emx.UUCP (Benjamin J. Sloan) writes:
> Here's what appears to be a bug.  I've a stack with a command to play a
> digitized sound in it.  If I open the stack and hit the button, the sound
> plays, as planned.  If however, I proceed to use the stack for a while, moving
>>>>
> Could this be memory limited? (I use 1 meg).  It's a small sound (<30K).

Don't ever run HyperCard of any flavour with less than 750k showing
for the Finder in the "About the Finder..." info box. The Update
documents say this, saying that "the Paint tools won't work and other
unexpected results may occur" or words to that effect. I can take a hint.

It is very easy for inits and things to chew up memory - you need a
very lean 1Mb machine to run HyperCard - around 800k free.

			    ---------
Tom Evans  tom@wcc.oz.au	|
Webster Computer Corp P/L	| "The concept of my
1270 Ferntree Gully Rd		|  existence is an
Scoresby VIC 3179    Australia	|  approximation"
Australia			|
61-3-764-1100  FAX ...764-1179	|      D. Conway