[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] HyperCard Glitches

Adam.Lesh@f102.n269.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Adam Lesh) (11/14/89)

Hi,
I'm new to this echo, and to Hypercard, so if I am repeating an already
discussed subject, please do not jump all over me.  I have just created a
rather complex stack that aids in creating AD&D characters.  It has all
the information about races, classes, attributes, etc. on cards and
allows the user to create a character in much the same way that one does
manually, but it does all the busy work and fills in a rather elegant
character sheet.  I have discovered two glitches when using the stack:
1)  When using the ANSWER command with 2 options, sometimes the option
on the left does not appear.  If you click where it should be, it does
react, but the option is just invisible.
2)  I have some locked, fields which contain text on the character
sheet.
One looks like:
When I print the card, sometimes this field is not font smoothed and
comes out bit mapped.  If I turn on the graphics smoothing option this
problem goes away on the regular Apple Laserwriters, but not on other
printers.
If any of you know why this happens, and how to fix it I would be
grateful.  BTW, do any of you know where I can get help developing some
animation.  I know there is a stack out there which does this, but I do
not know where to find it.
Lastly, did anybody else notice that visual effects do not work on a Mac
IIcx.  They don't work on mine.  Anybody know anything about it.
Oops.  One more thing.  I would like to have a field which is a
scrolling table.  I know how to build one combining a number of
scrolling fields, but I am not satisfied with the results.  Is there
an XCMD out there which does this?
Thanks, in advance, for all of your help.
Adam Lesh

--
Adam Lesh via cmhGate - Net 226 fido<=>uucp gateway Col, OH
UUCP: ...!osu-cis!n8emr!cmhgate!269!102!Adam.Lesh

bskendig@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Brian Kendig) (11/16/89)

In article <29692.2560C5F9@cmhgate.FIDONET.ORG> Adam.Lesh@f102.n269.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Adam Lesh) writes:
>...  I have just created a
>rather complex stack that aids in creating AD&D characters.  It has all
>the information about races, classes, attributes, etc. on cards and
>allows the user to create a character in much the same way that one does
>manually, but it does all the busy work and fills in a rather elegant
>character sheet.

Great!  Maybe you should post it here when you're finished...

>I have discovered two glitches when using the stack:
>1)  When using the ANSWER command with 2 options, sometimes the option
>on the left does not appear.  If you click where it should be, it does
>react, but the option is just invisible.

I've never seen this one before.  Are you sure that you don't have any
funky INITs in your System Folder that are doing something behind your
back?

>2)  I have some locked, fields which contain text on the character
>sheet.
>When I print the card, sometimes this field is not font smoothed and
>comes out bit mapped.  If I turn on the graphics smoothing option this
>problem goes away on the regular Apple Laserwriters, but not on other
>printers.

Font substitution controls this, not graphics smoothing.

What font is the text in?  Geneva should come out as Helvetica if
"Font Substitution" is enabled.  And Palatino will come out looking
nice on all LaserWriters (Plus, II) except the original LaserWriter
(no suffix), which does not have Palatino built in (so it will appear
as bitmapped).  (This also happens with a few other fonts whose names
escape me at the moment.)  The other printers you mentioned, if
they're not Apple laser printers, may not have the fonts built in.

>BTW, do any of you know where I can get help developing some
>animation.  I know there is a stack out there which does this, but I do
>not know where to find it.

Either (a) do card flipping (put a sequence of pictures over several cards
and flip between them quickly), (b) move icon buttons around, or (c) buy
SuperCard and use its animation abilities.

I haven't heard of a stack that does animation, but if it exists it
will most likely be in sumex.

>Lastly, did anybody else notice that visual effects do not work on a Mac
>IIcx.  They don't work on mine.  Anybody know anything about it.

Did you remember to set your monitor to monochrome instead of color
first?  HyperCard graphic effects don't work in color...  (yet)

>Oops.  One more thing.  I would like to have a field which is a
>scrolling table.  I know how to build one combining a number of
>scrolling fields, but I am not satisfied with the results.  Is there
>an XCMD out there which does this?

Not that I know of.  I'm not entirely sure I understand what you want
to do.  Why not use Courier or Monaco font for the field
(nonproportional, so the columns will line up), and enter the entire
table into one scrolling field?

--
| Brian S. Kendig       |  I feel more like I   | bskendig                   |
| Computer Engineering  |  did when I got here  | @phoenix.Princeton.EDU     |

pepke@loligo (Eric Pepke) (11/17/89)

In article <29692.2560C5F9@cmhgate.FIDONET.ORG> Adam.Lesh@f102.n269.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Adam Lesh) writes:
>2)  I have some locked, fields which contain text on the character
>sheet.
>One looks like:
>When I print the card, sometimes this field is not font smoothed and
>comes out bit mapped.  If I turn on the graphics smoothing option this
>problem goes away on the regular Apple Laserwriters, but not on other
>printers.

HyperCard has a nefarious feature about printing text in fields.  Normally
it prints text normally, which means that the regular QuickDraw text drawing
calls are made to the printer port, so LaserWriter fonts get printed out at
LaserWriter resolution, and if Font Substitution is checked, many screen
fonts are printed using a reasonable approximation of the font by a
LaserWriter font, which is usually acceptable.

However, when there are graphics over the field, and HyperCard determines
heuristically that the graphics *have a chance* of overlapping the text,
the entire text field is printed as a bit map.  What happens is that HC
converts the text to bits and then combines the bits with the graphics bits
that it thinks might overlap them.

A single opaque white pixel can be the culprit.  These are very easy to put
in by accident and very hard to detect.  So, to get rid of the problem, fully
erase, or make white and transparent, the entire area over the field.  Also,
of course, make sure you have Font Substitution checked.

Eric Pepke                                     INTERNET: pepke@gw.scri.fsu.edu
Supercomputer Computations Research Institute  MFENET:   pepke@fsu
Florida State University                       SPAN:     scri::pepke
Tallahassee, FL 32306-4052                     BITNET:   pepke@fsu

Disclaimer: My employers seldom even LISTEN to my opinions.
Meta-disclaimer: Any society that needs disclaimers has too many lawyers.

johnsonr@boulder.Colorado.EDU (JOHNSON RICHARD J) (11/19/89)

pepke@gw.scri.fsu.edu (Eric Pepke) writes:
/HyperCard has a nefarious feature about printing text in fields.  Normally
/it prints text normally...

/However, when there are graphics over the field, and HyperCard determines
/heuristically that the graphics *have a chance* of overlapping the text,
/the entire text field is printed as a bit map.

Gack!  So that's why I've been having similar problems with printing text
in fields (but only some fields).  Is this on the list of things to fix
for HyperCard 2.0?  If not, is the bug ever going to get fixed?  Hint, hint...

| Richard Johnson                           johnsonr@spot.colorado.edu |
|    CSC doesn't necessarily share my opinions, but is welcome to.     |
|  Power Tower...Dual Keel...Phase One...Allison/bertha/Colleen...?... |
|   Space Station Freedom is Dead.  Long Live Space Station Freedom!   |