[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] HC, SC, Plus

EXZ@PSUVM.BITNET (11/15/89)

Just tuned back into this news froup.....maybe i missed it,
but how about a comparison between HyperCard, SuperCard, and Plus?

Especially with regard to:
*Speed*
Power
Customizability
Compatiblity
Bugginess

Here's a great chance for sharing your unsubstantiated opinions, gross
exagerations, and weird personal preferences :)
Seriously, though, it would be helpful to hear a bit.

steve

----------------Steve Dahm-------------exz@psuvm.psu.edu---------------------

louis@aerospace.aero.org (Louis M. McDonald) (11/16/89)

In article <89318.230002EXZ@PSUVM.BITNET>, EXZ@PSUVM.BITNET writes:
> Just tuned back into this news froup.....maybe i missed it,
> but how about a comparison between HyperCard, SuperCard, and Plus?

Such an article was posted in comp.mac.binaries as a word document.
Seemed like a good comparison.

Louis McDonald

--
Louis McDonald
The Aerospace Corporation

mlloyd@maths.tcd.ie (Michael Lloyd) (11/20/89)

In article <89318.230002EXZ@PSUVM.BITNET> EXZ@PSUVM.BITNET writes:
>how about a comparison between HyperCard, SuperCard, and Plus?
>
>Especially with regard to:
>*Speed*, >Power, >Customizability, >Compatiblity, >Bugginess
>
>Here's a great chance for sharing your unsubstantiated opinions, gross
>exagerations, and weird personal preferences :)

OK, you asked for it!

Hypercard:  Great for power, etc, as we all know.  Just slow.
Supercard:  Very, very impressive.  Some really nifty things, like
            proper graphic objects, and of course, colour.  Just VERY slow
            indeed.
Plus:       Not impressed.  Documentation bad, demos bad, presentation bad.
            I never had the enthusiasm to try and get into it.

So, all in all, I suppose I am a SuperCard fan.  I like Silicon Beach software,
and SC is well up to scratch.  I have had no difficulty transferring my
developing to it, and I now have no desire to go back.  Compatibility
seems to be very good - I have imported a stack or two - but I cannot
make extravagant claims of TOTAL portability cos I haven`t gone into it
that thoroughly.

Any questions?

>steve
>
>----------------Steve Dahm-------------exz@psuvm.psu.edu---------------------

Mike.

Mike Lloyd, Dept of Statistics, |Somebody said `Well hey, what are you waving
Trinity College, Dublin,        |at?' `Well, what do I have to lose?  Somebody
Ireland.                        |might wave back!'
(mlloyd@maths.tcd.ie)           |  - Mike Scott, of the Waterboys.

taylorj@yvax.byu.edu (11/21/89)

Michael Lloyd summed it up pretty well (and got the same bad taste in his mouth
from PLUS that I did).

PLUS is like an upgrade to HyperCard.  It's almost as easy to use, almost as
fast, and the manual is almost as bad.

SuperCard is HyperCard raised to a new level.  It's much more powerful, but
it's very slow and a lot harder to get the hang of.

Recommendations:  If you need color, larger cards, multiple font/styles/sizes
per field, or other simple improvements but you still want the simplicity and
ease of use of HyperCard, then PLUS might be worth it.  If you need multiple
windows (including dialogs and floating windoids), powerful draw graphics,
complete control over menus, or nice animation then you'll need SuperCard, but
be prepared to pay a price in slowness and difficulty of using and learning.

I recently posted a table comparing the features of HyperCard, PLUS, and
SuperCard (in MacWrite and Word 4.0 formats) to comp.mac.binaries.  If anyone
missed it and would like a copy, drop me a line.

Jim Taylor
Microcomputer Support for Curriculum
Brigham Young University
taylorj@yvax.byu.edu