[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] Need XCMD or XFCN for serial port.

blu@millipore.uucp (Brian Utterback) (11/18/89)

I need an XCMD or XFCN that will help me talk to a printer port from
Hypercard.  I have an application similar to one discussed recently.
I want to send commands to a device attached to a printer port and log
the responses to these commands.  In addition, I want to log any
unsolicited messages from the device.  I guess I want to be able to
send data to a serial port and have incoming data buffered and invoke
a handler of some type. Anyone got something like this?

Brian Utterback, Millipore Corporation, 75G Wiggins Ave., Bedford Ma. 01730
UUCP:: uunet!merk!millipore!blu Work:617-275-9200x8245, Home:603-891-2536
--

tom@wcc.oz (Tom Evans) (11/21/89)

In article <1989Nov17.215026.6885@millipore.uucp>, blu@millipore.uucp (Brian Utterback) writes:
> I need an XCMD or XFCN that will help me talk to a printer port from
> Hypercard.

Get on to APDA. There's a disk called "HyperCard Serial Communications
Toolkit V2.5"

It's good, but naturally very slow to drive from HyperCard scripts.
It's just what you want:

		EXCEPT.....

There's no CLOSE on the serial port that you can call to drop the modem
signals. I used another XCMD (SendSerial by Ken D. at Apple) to close
the port. If I leave DTR up in my application the box I'm controlling
won't go away and do what it's meant to. I got SendSerial off the
"HyperCard Developers Package v1.0b1".

			    ---------
Tom Evans  tom@wcc.oz.au	|
Webster Computer Corp P/L	| "The concept of my
1270 Ferntree Gully Rd		|  existence is an
Scoresby VIC 3179    Australia	|  approximation"
Australia			|
61-3-764-1100  FAX ...764-1179	|      D. Conway