[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] OnLine Library Stack

hedstrom@uvicctr.UVic.ca.UUCP (Brad Hedstrom) (10/21/89)

I'm looking for a stack that acts as a front end of a library data base
(on-line card catalogue). I don't want to interface it to any particular data
base, I just want to ``show'' some people what a HyperCard library interface
might look like. If you have such an animal (or know where I can get on),
please let me know.

Thanks,

Brad Hedstrom, University of Victoria, ECE Dept.
Internet:  hedstrom@sirius.uvic.ca
UUCP:   ...!{uw-beaver,ubc-vision}!uvicctr!hedstrom

busey@blake.acs.washington.edu (Thomas Busey) (11/03/89)

In article <821@uvicctr.UVic.ca.UUCP> hedstrom@uvicctr.UVic.ca.UUCP (Brad Hedstrom) writes:
>I'm looking for a stack that acts as a front end of a library data base
>(on-line card catalogue). I don't want to interface it to any particular data
>base, I just want to ``show'' some people what a HyperCard library interface
>might look like. If you have such an animal (or know where I can get on),
>please let me know.

Cornell University Library Services have developed an excellent front end
stack for their online computer services.  Not only does the stack use
buttons to automate the commands, but also allows users to cut out
references into a temporary scrapbook, edit this and print or save to
their own floppy.  The whole system is far superior to any other
library access program I have ever seen, and the stack itself is
undergraduate-proof.

More info can be reached from: (and this is just a guess, but they can
direct further inquiries)
Director of Online Services
Mann Library
Cornell University
Ithaca NY 14853

Re:  Online hypercard script.

Good Luck...

Tom Busey
busey@blake.acs.washington.edu

ubmaria@vax87.aud.auc.dk (11/03/89)

In article <821@uvicctr.UVic.ca.UUCP>, hedstrom@uvicctr.UVic.ca.UUCP (Brad Hedstrom) writes:
> I'm looking for a stack that acts as a front end of a library data base
> (on-line card catalogue). I don't want to interface it to any particular data
> base, I just want to ``show'' some people what a HyperCard library interface
> might look like. If you have such an animal (or know where I can get on),
> please let me know.
> > Thanks,
I HAVE MADE SUCH A THING, AND IT WORKS VERY WELL. PEOPLE SEEM TO BE ABLE TO
LEARN THE QUERY LANGUAGE, OR USE IT, WITHOUT KNOWING IT. THE STACK IS MADE AS
A FRONT END TO THE LIBRARYS MAINFRAME RUNNING THE CCL QUERY LANGUAGE.IT ACTS AS
A TERMINAL EMULATION PROGRAMME, WITH BUTTONS SENDING QUERY LANGUAGE.
IT INCORPORATES XCMD,S FROM I DO NOT REMENBER NOW. IT IS FREE FOR YOU, BUT I WOULD
LIKE TO EXCHANGE IT FOR A DISC WITH NEW AND GOOD HYPERCARD TOOLS. BESIDES, A
COMPANY CALLED MITEM HAS MADE Mitemview. It cost 1000 $ and is claimed to be
able to do the same and more. But have any of you tried MitemView, and is it
that much money worth?
Bjarne Norup. Aalborg University, Denmark

sac@Apple.COM (Steve Cisler) (11/05/89)

Re: Mitem tools for HyperCard
Texas A&M has done a program called MacNOTIS that incorporated
Mitem tools in the stack.  It is used to access the library
NOTIS system and has been well received by other libraries
running that IBM Mainframe software.  Mitem is open to discussion
about other uses of their toolkit.
Steve Cisler
Apple Library

ALC@PSUVM.BITNET (11/08/89)

We're looking into setting up and information kiosk here at out Library
and I was looking for examples of other information kiosk stacks that I could
try and get some ideas from. Can anybody help? I can FTP if necessary.

jgsmith@watson.bcm.tmc.edu (James G. Smith) (11/11/89)

In a (the?) recent MacWeek, their is mention of something called MacNOTIS,
which I think is a front end for libraries which already use a mainframe
system called NOTIS.  I think MacNOTIS was is developed by Texas A&M along
with Apple.  That's all I can tell ya.

*

33581473@vax5.CIT.CORNELL.EDU (11/22/89)

In article <89312.102501ALC@PSUVM.BITNET> ALC@PSUVM.BITNET writes:
>We're looking into setting up and information kiosk here at out Library
>and I was looking for examples of other information kiosk stacks that I could
>try and get some ideas from. Can anybody help? I can FTP if necessary.

I'm currently responsible for a Hypercard stack here at Cornell University
called MacPAC.  Both MacPAC and MacNOTIS, from Texas A&M, are front-ends
for the NOTIS library catalog system on IBM 370s.  MacNOTIS is very
nicely done, but is somewhat specific to the Texas A&M environment.  MacPAC
is somewhat simpler, but it has been successfully used on several
different NOTIS systems.

For more info, write me at jeh@vax5.cit.cornell.edu, and I'll see that
something gets sent your way.

  --jh