[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] multi-user hypercard

jm7f+@andrew.cmu.edu (Joe Melvin) (11/23/89)

Reading the subject header you might have thought I'd discovered something, but
alas I have to ask for help with a problem.  We have a stack here that,
ideally,
should have multi-user access (read and write).  Since this is not by any
way, shape, or form directly possible in hyperCard, I was wondering if anyone
has been able to fake this type of operation.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Joe Melvin

dlugose@uncecs.edu (Dan Dlugose) (11/28/89)

In article <8ZOjYfq00WBLA1Xp9O@andrew.cmu.edu> jm7f+@andrew.cmu.edu (Joe Melvin) writes:
>Reading the subject header you might have thought I'd discovered something, but
>alas I have to ask for help with a problem.  We have a stack here that,
>ideally,
>should have multi-user access (read and write).  Since this is not by any
>way, shape, or form directly possible in hyperCard, I was wondering if anyone
>has been able to fake this type of operation.
>
>Any input would be greatly appreciated.
>
>Thanks,
>Joe Melvin

   The July 89 MacTutor has an article "Building a Network Painting
Program" that gives the source for a mult-user Appletalk paint program;
this could be adapted using Appletalk XCMDs, perhaps as-is, to do
what you want.
   This gets around the multi-user problem, because only the user at the
local node is known to have the document open for modification, but the
data in Appletalk packets are providing editing commands from other users

Dan Dlugose
UNC Educational Computing Service
dlugose@uncecs.edu