[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] Anonymous FTP site where I can get TechNotes?

ALE101@PSUVM.BITNET (Allen Edmiston) (11/28/89)

In article <2916@sparky.UUCP>, puklich@sparky.UUCP (Blayne Puklich) says:
>All Tech Notes are available via anonymous ftp from apple.com (aliased as
>apple.apple.com for some sites; either should work).  Look in pub/dts/mac/tn
>and you should see the relevant directories.  They are organized into
>subdirectories of 50 Notes each, plus a subdirectory for the TN Stack.

have you downloaded the tn stack lately? i did it about a day or two ago,
want to talk about B_I_G! the problem now is that since the stack is approx
1.8meg, i can't go through some of the parts of the stack (out of memory)
... maybe someone at apple who works with making this stack should cut it into
parts. hey, now there's an idea :)

                                                   Allen

CXT105@PSUVM.BITNET (Christopher Tate) (11/28/89)

In article <89331.150039ALE101@PSUVM.BITNET>, Allen Edmiston
<ALE101@PSUVM.BITNET> says:

>have you downloaded the tn stack lately? i did it about a day or two ago,
>want to talk about B_I_G! the problem now is that since the stack is approx
>1.8meg, i can't go through some of the parts of the stack (out of memory)
>... maybe someone at apple who works with making this stack should cut it into
>parts. hey, now there's an idea :)

Not to mention those of us who, for one reason or another, have to download
things onto 800K floppies.  Makes dealing with a 1.8 MB object just a trifle
awkward....

-------
Christopher Tate      ||      "I hate quotations!" -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

puklich@sparky.UUCP (Blayne Puklich) (11/28/89)

In article <89331.220348CXT105@PSUVM.BITNET> CXT105@PSUVM.BITNET
	(Christopher Tate) writes:
>In article <89331.150039ALE101@PSUVM.BITNET>, Allen Edmiston
><ALE101@PSUVM.BITNET> says:
>>have you downloaded the tn stack lately? i did it about a day or two ago,
>>want to talk about B_I_G! the problem now is that since the stack is approx
>>1.8meg, i can't go through some of the parts of the stack (out of memory)
>>... maybe someone at apple who works with making this stack should cut it into
>>parts. hey, now there's an idea :)
>Not to mention those of us who, for one reason or another, have to download
>things onto 800K floppies.  Makes dealing with a 1.8 MB object just a trifle
>awkward....

That's the FIRST thing I thought about when I ftp'ed it from apple.com.
Those of us who work on UNIX boxes can use split to get approximately
floppy-sized chunks; but PSUVM, being an IBM mainframe (I'm guessing),
probably doesn't have this available unless you roll your own.  Too bad.

I have it split up into roughly 260K chunks at our site.  It's in
/pub/mac/pub/programming/tn/tn.stack for those who have anonymous ftp
capabilities.  You can use sparky.nodak.edu (134.129.125.254) for now, but
on December 7th, 1989 sparky will replace plains.nodak.edu, and assume its
IP address (134.129.111.64).  I think that the 260K size should be easier to
move around.  Hope this helps a bit for those with floppy-only systems.

||+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++||
|| Blayne Puklich      nopuklic@Plains.NoDak.EDU  "I think I'm going       ||
|| NDSU Student ACM    nopuklic@ndsuvax.BITNET          bald..."           ||
|| Vice-Chairperson    NU087763@NDSUVM1.BITNET     -- Rush, from Caress    ||
|| North Dakota State University, Fargo, ND           of Steel, 1975       ||
|| (701) 237-4408                                                          ||
||          "Corvettes are the best thing man has ever invented."          ||
||-------------------------------------------------------------------------||

mjohnson@Apple.COM (Mark B. Johnson) (11/29/89)

In article <89331.150039ALE101@PSUVM.BITNET> ALE101@PSUVM.BITNET (Allen Edmiston) writes:
>have you downloaded the tn stack lately? i did it about a day or two ago,
>want to talk about B_I_G! the problem now is that since the stack is approx
>1.8meg, i can't go through some of the parts of the stack (out of memory)
>... maybe someone at apple who works with making this stack should cut it into
>parts. hey, now there's an idea :)

There is a NEW version of the TN Stack and Q & A Stack which will be available
for FTP in about 2 weeks.  It WILL be available in pieces both here and on
AppleLink when I put it up.

--
Mark B. Johnson                                            AppleLink: mjohnson
Developer Technical Support                         domain: mjohnson@Apple.com

"You gave your life to become the person you are right now.  Was it worth it?"
                                                         - Richard Bach, _One_