[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] need good book on Hypertalk

neves@aristotle.ils.nwu.edu (David Neves) (12/11/89)

Unfortunately our suburban bookstores have lousy collections of
computer books but I can ask them to bring books up from their Chicago
branches if I know what to ask for.

I am getting into heavy Hypertalk programming and would like a good
reference book.  Talk of XCMDS would also be a plus.  Tricks for
experts would be a plus.  I've seen "The Complete Hypercard Handbook"
but it seems wordy.  Is there anything better?

I'll resend what I get to those who email me.
-Thanks, David
neves@ils.nwu.edu
Institute for the Learning Sciences, 1980 Maple, Evanston Il 60201

jlc@atux01.UUCP (J. Collymore) (12/13/89)

In article <2024@accuvax.nwu.edu>, neves@aristotle.ils.nwu.edu (David Neves) writes:

> I am getting into heavy Hypertalk programming and would like a good
> reference book.  Talk of XCMDS would also be a plus.  Tricks for
> experts would be a plus.  I've seen "The Complete Hypercard Handbook"
> but it seems wordy.  Is there anything better?
>
> -Thanks, David

I HIGHLY recommend "Tricks of the HyperTalk Masters" by the Waite Group.  It
has lots of info on a variety of things HyperCard (HC) programmers want,
including things like animated cursors and benchmarking scripts.  The part I
like and use most though, is the reference guide to all the hypertalk
commands, etc.  I found this section more thorough and easy to understand than
anything else I've read.  I keep it by my Mac at all times.

						Jim Collymore